Print Thread
#724110 Thu Jan 31 2019 10:33 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
I have a face plate that has a couple spots half dollar in size, the area is still white but the porscelin shine is gone. I have tried cleaning it with warm soapy water , mothers polish . It doesn't come back to life. Its not chipped . Has any of you come across this , and know of a cure ? I'll try and get a pict to show what I got. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
old dog #724120 Fri Feb 01 2019 06:14 AM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Only way that I know is to clear coat the faces. It will bring a bit of gloss to them. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

old dog #724174 Fri Feb 01 2019 09:47 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Thanks Paul. I haven't been able to try and get a pict to show. That might be the route for me to go ? Mike

old dog #724175 Fri Feb 01 2019 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think when its pasty white like that the top glossy coat of the porcelain is gone, the white underneath is also porous.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
old dog #724321 Mon Feb 04 2019 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
People use super glue as a finish for wooden pens they make on a lathe .

HOUSE WOOD PEN 004.JPG

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
old dog #724469 Thu Feb 07 2019 10:59 PM
R
R
I use aluminum brightener to fix all my face plate problems. It won’t hurt the porcelain and removes film and deposits that may appear to be a paint issue. It will also remove the orange, rust, lines you get on face plates in seconds using a Mr Clean scrubbing pad with it. Soak your screws, bolts and nuts in it for about 30 minutes, let them air dry and they become like new. The highway department in our state sprays this on bridges with rust, it removes rust in minutes and they paint right over it. I use this on all my rusty pump parts, saves me hours of work!

R Wood #724783 Wed Feb 13 2019 09:16 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Originally Posted by R Wood
I use aluminum brightener to fix all my face plate problems. It won’t hurt the porcelain and removes film and deposits that may appear to be a paint issue. It will also remove the orange, rust, lines you get on face plates in seconds using a Mr Clean scrubbing pad with it. Soak your screws, bolts and nuts in it for about 30 minutes, let them air dry and they become like new. The highway department in our state sprays this on bridges with rust, it removes rust in minutes and they paint right over it. I use this on all my rusty pump parts, saves me hours of work!

Thanks for your input too. When you say "aluminum brightener" , do you mean something like ''NEVER DULL'' ?

old dog #724928 Sat Feb 16 2019 08:44 PM
R
R
I believe Never Dull has a mineral spirits base and aluminum brightener is an acid base. There are several makers of aluminum brightener, just google and you should be able to find a supplier Home Depot, Napa, Lowes, etc... Make sure to dilute it when starting out on your face plates and work it up as needed. I use full strength on all fasteners, nuts, bolts, pins, etc... I could send some before and after pictures if you have any concerns about using it, I have some pretty bad face plates that I havent done anything with yet that could be done up. On face plates I will use the aluminum brightener to clean them up then rinse them with water. On the fasteners I just let them dry. On pump frames I will just let dry also. I was cleaning pump nozzels with it and they did better to rinse with water afterwards. Wouldn’t recommend using on any other pump parts besides what I’ve mentioned, it will dull any trim piece if left on to long. You could start out putting a couple rusty nuts and bolts in a plastic cup and you will learn what you can do with this stuff pretty quick. It is environmentally safe, but I still use gloves, doesn’t burn like other acids. Feel free to PM me for my number and I could probably answer any other questions a little easier.

old dog #724930 Sat Feb 16 2019 09:00 PM
O
old dog Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
O
Ok, I'll look at those places and see what I can find and give it a try. Thanks for the input of your experiences . Here is the dull spot on a face I have.

100_1503.JPG
old dog #724933 Sat Feb 16 2019 09:28 PM
R
R
From what I can see in your photo, and not feeling it, I have removed film that looks similar back down to the original porcelain with the brightener. Hopefully you can have the same results.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved