Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#723881 Sun Jan 27 2019 08:12 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I have recently came across an old gas pump. Its marked "Southwest Pump Company" with Model 80.

It looks like it was restored as a Polly Gas pump but was not done very well (decals are not very straight (view pictures)).

I've noticed under the decals holes that look like it would be for some kind of emblem but not sure what brand. The top of the door (above the window and under the small polly) is two holes, about an inch or so apart. Then, under the window and under the big polly decal, is 3 holes. In a triangular shape.

I really don't think this was a polly pump and if anyone can help with some info on it, it would be greatly appreciated. I plan on trying to restore it to what it was (if possible) but I need as much info as possible. If anyone needs more pictures, just ask.

Thanks in advanced.

IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1067.JPG IMG_1069.JPG IMG_1071.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
South West pumps were generally used by Gulf . Someone doing this as a Polly didn't do their homework very well as Polly by ther time the model 80 came out would have found Wilshire gasoline . Wilshire by that time was a light Blue . Yes , Texaco and a few independents used SW pumps , but most likely, they were in Texas , N Mexico or Oklahoma .

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are very few original Polly pumps in the world. I've seen one and I was VERY surprised to see it. I dont think this person is trying to commit fraud, they just restored it as Polly brand. I've restored pumps to Polly several times, but I'm also not telling people its an original Polly pump either, hopefully he's not telling you that! Going to be tough to figure out what the original brand was. It's OK to pick a brand you like and go with it IMO. Also, the PCM guidebook to restorations is really handy if you are looking for original paint schemes.

Last edited by Paul Bell; Mon Jan 28 2019 12:09 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wouldn't call that pump restored as much as freshened up. looking at the overspray it doesn't even look like it was taken apart, just painted on the exterior...

Got Socony???

Tom
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
There are very few original Polly pumps in the world. I've seen one and I was VERY surprised to see it. I dont think this person is trying to commit fraud, they just restored it as Polly brand. I've restored pumps to Polly several times, but I'm also not telling people its an original Polly pump either, hopefully he's not telling you that! Going to be tough to figure out what the original brand was. It's OK to pick a brand you like and go with it IMO. Also, the PCM guidebook to restorations is really handy if you are looking for original paint schemes.
As Paul stated, it was not an attempt to commit fraud. It was a choice of what brand the owner liked. As a restoration shop, we frequently build Poly, Texaco, Shell, and all the rest from pumps that are delivered to us or from our inventory. When you have a customer who wants a gas pump restored, it is the choice of the client to determine the pump they want and the brand, it will become. No crime there. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Mon Jan 28 2019 07:17 AM.
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Not a bad looking Polly pump.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by eshaver
South West pumps were generally used by Gulf

...I think the pump is a Technicolor eyesore (the decal placement ALONE made me laugh) as it's about as historically incorrect as it could be...that said - Gulf never spec'd that particular model of pump...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
S
OP Offline
S
Appreciate all the replies. Maybe I used the wrong words, I didn't mean to say that anyone committed a crime or fraud, it was just a play on words. I purchased it because of the pump alone but i'm more interested in trying to get it looking as good as it was.

My real concern is finding out what brand would have had those emblems (that would go where the holes I mentioned are), maybe looking into the different brands might lead me to what the emblems would look like.

I also saw a thread from a member named "joe" that rebuilds the computers, is that still available?

Here's a few pictures of the computer. I've gotten it to move but it's full of dirt and rust, you can just feel it grind.

Also, sorry about the pictures, I have no idea why they are coming out sideways.

IMG_1071 2.JPG IMG_1072 2.JPG IMG_1073 2.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...triangular hole pattern? Could be Conoco...if you measure the distance between the holes and their relative angle to each other, it should give you something to compare to the hole pattern on a Conoco pump plate...and I'm pretty sure Oklahoma was in Conoco's marketing territory...I don't have one, but here are a couple of photos of possible suspects, from a Google search...surely someone on Oldgas has a plate, and can confirm the distance between the mounting holes...

...Joe (jkyocom on Oldgas) does nice work...as far as I know, he is still restoring computers...his email is listed under his User Profile...

58472660_1_x.jpg great-conoco-gas-pump-sign-plate_1_53f37deceb9920caed5ac97218e22cb0.jpg

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...and this might be the answer to your other question about the holes at the TOP of the doors: looks like you need a couple Southwest insignias...photos not mine; they just came up on a Google search...

southwest-model-80-gas-pump-skelly_1_25afe4a71e96d0444933afa8115d02cf.jpg southwest-model-80sdfbsdfbump-skelly_1_25afe4a71e96d0444933afa8115d02cf.jpg

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by gulfiend!
...triangular hole pattern? Could be Conoco...if you measure the distance between the holes and their relative angle to each other, it should give you something to compare to the hole pattern on a Conoco pump plate...and I'm pretty sure Oklahoma was in Conoco's marketing territory...I don't have one, but here are a couple of photos of possible suspects, from a Google search...surely someone on Oldgas has a plate, and can confirm the distance between the mounting holes...

...Joe (jkyocom on Oldgas) does nice work...as far as I know, he is still restoring computers...his email is listed under his User Profile...

Appreciate the info, i'll get the measurements this evening and post them. I know I want to do a proper restoration and if I can at least get it close, that's good enough for me.

I'm in the middle of a 1958 Vendo 81b coke machine right now, so I've got plenty of time to find what I need.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by gulfiend!

Here some pictures of the screw holes, it's not 3 in a triangle, it's actually 6 holes.

IMG_1078.jpg IMG_1077.jpg
Last edited by SpudNuts; Mon Jan 28 2019 06:36 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The hole configuration is for a Texaco pump plate measuring 12" wide 18" tall, I'm pretty sure. Fire Chief, Skychief, and Diesel Chief to name 3....

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dale is right. Texaco for sure!

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...12 x 18" Texaco Fire-Chief (solid red pump with black base) and Sky-Chief (solid silver pump with black base) pump signs are among the easiest to locate, and if you're so inclined, you could even find two with matching dates...I'd guess anything from 1955-1960 would be most accurate...

...Diesel Chief signs will run considerably more, and there are repros galore...

...Tom Buckles (tbuckles on Oldgas) might be able to help you with the missing Southwest emblems...

...be sure to post photos when you get it looking right smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved