Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Hello Everybody,

Been roaming around the forums here and it seems like it is a great community. My father and I recently restored a 1929 Model A Ford Pickup and that has sparked sort of a restore fever in us. We recently found this old gas pump which we believe to be a Neptune Gas Pump Model 855. The metal plate on the side of the pump says Neptune Gas Company in New York, NY and has Model 855 as well as a legible serial #. This pump has been laying in the mud for over 40 years. Actual time unknown. I'm looking for resources to figure out where to buy parts for it and if anyone has good advice for us. We already tried to get the front door open and broke the handle off due to so much rust it just came right off. There is a lot of work to be done but from what little I can find of these it seems they might be rare enough nowadays to make it worth the time and effort.

I've attached a picture, it is the only one I have at the moment. Thank you for your time! Looking forward to meeting y'all.

IMG_2053.JPG
Last edited by Central Cal Steve; Wed Jan 02 2019 03:10 PM. Reason: Trying to fix sideways picture!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Good luck with your project. I'm sure you will be able to find assistance here.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It is indeed a Neptune 855. You can buy several generic parts and some Neptune specific parts from several supplier's. New / reproduction stuff, try Vic's 66, Gas Pump Heaven, Time Passsages / Scotty's Garage, Ron Scobie (on Old Gas). And for used original parts try Tom Buckles, Ryan Underthun, and several others on here. Post the parts you need under the "Want to Buy" forum, here on Old Gas.

I apologize if I missed any suppliers / sellers.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
C
OP Offline
C
What I don't understand is when I go to all of these websites they mention several different pump brands like Tokheim etc etc. I don't see Neptune Pumps listed anywhere regarding compatibility for parts. Are these pumps that rare that people don't typically carry parts for them or do the parts simply not exist anymore and we have to make due with what generic parts we can find.

Thank you for your time.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Go to Ron's site www.gaspump.com. Look under Neptune 855 and you will see just about all the repop parts that are available. Some of the other dealers may carry the parts also. There are not that may Neptune pumps out there compared to some of the other companies. Original parts are hard to come by. I have always like the look of the Neptune pumps and it will go great next to your Model A. Richard

C
OP Offline
C
Hey Richard,

Thank you for that! I had checked out all these sites when Steve mentioned them above. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong but in fact, the parts for these specific model are scarce which will make for an interesting restore. I've already started my little excel sheet of websites and potential parts lol.

C
OP Offline
C
Hello again everyone,

Just a small update. We don't get a lot of time to get together to work on this. Initially we spent some time figuring out what exactly it is, what parts are possibly available and nonetheless what we want to do with it. We decided we are going to restore it to the best of our abilities. We want to go with a Red/White theme but we, of course this being our first gas pump, have lots of questions.

1.) how do we determine what size globe goes on the top of the gas pump?

2.) Do you guys have a trick of the trade to setup internal lighting? The pre-existing system seems to be hallow and we are not very confident with being able to run our own wiring the way it was originally done.

3.) On the last picture there is a spot on the left top that looks like something should be connected there. It isn't connected to anything underneath. Wasn't able to find any pictures of this Neptune 855 with anything ever put in that spot. Does anyone know what it is used for?

We are going to be ordering a hose, chrome connectors, a new nozzle, a new handle for the left side as well as a globe, ad glass and a front panel advertisement logo to match. The front door will be painted White.

Shout out to UpnorthNeil for reaching out to me and helping me get pointed in the right direction with contacts!

Hope the pictures come out correctly and I am interested to read what you guys think.

IMG_2076.jpg IMG_2080.jpg IMG_2082.jpg IMG_2083.jpg
Last edited by Central Cal Steve; Fri Feb 01 2019 06:16 PM. Reason: Added 3rd question.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd probably use a 13.5" globe on that one. Although you've got some kind of unusual globe mount there I'm not familiar with. As far as lighting, I like to use a long extension cord, cutting off the non-pronged end and running it through the conduits. You may need to use some torch heat to remove the old wires from the conduit, makes it easy to pull wires but bad fumes. You can get those porcelain electrical sockets at most small "mom/pop" hardware stores, but take an old one with you to match it up.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved