Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#718845 Mon Oct 29 2018 07:25 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I am curious how to tell apart the Martin & Schwartz 80 pump from the Wayne 80 pump, other than seeing the manufacturer's plate in person. Does the face plate give it away? I have Jack Sim's pump bible (recent edition #3 as well as edition #1) and it seems that the M&S 80 has a round black background on the face plate (see first photo attached) and the Wayne 80 has black rectangular box backgrounds (see second photo). I understand that when Wayne purchased Martin & Schwartz in 1951 they simply moved the M&S manufacturing equipment to their facilities and continued production of the newly named Wayne 80 right away. I have the book "125 years of Wayne" but they don't address this issue in the book.

The M&S 80 face plate also has the "M&S" logo at the top, while the Wayne face plates seem to have (in tiny letters....not readable in this specific attachment) "Wayne" at the bottom. I suspect that for restoration purposes, the face plates are identical in size and shape such that either face plate could be used on either original pump, right?

So - for original pumps - is the face plate a reliable distinction between these two pumps? Thanks.

Andy

M&S 80 N-tane #12.jpg
Wayne 80 - Royal:Premium.png (432.96 KB, 191 downloads)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Andy
I'm not an expert but I believe the MS 80 has a couple different faces.
Here is a pic of the one I have for sale now.

Chuck

20181029_144828.jpg
Last edited by 71chevelle; Mon Oct 29 2018 12:52 PM.
Dang chuck! That has to be one of the biggest bases i have ever seen for a MS80! how tall does that thing sit?

QS

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That base was a Standard oil special order base. They thought the crown globe looked better being higher.

Have gas all the time
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It is a tall one
6'2 to the top of the pump, 7'5 to the top of the globe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First off I need to say that I have not researched all the 80 parts manuals to prove this but from my experience the answer may be the in the base.
The Wayne 80 uses a stamped steel base that has tabs that stick up to fit inside the frame rail. The bolts went thru horizontally or sideways.
The other style of base used a frame that had a plate welded on the bottom so the mounting bolts went straight down into the base. There are several variations of this base; cast iron, cast aluminium, stamped inverted. I believe all these variations were earlier.
Maybe Jack could weigh in, I've wondered this myself but never knew for sure.
Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Chuck: you are right about the different M&S 80 faces. My good friend has one, and here is a photo of the face. The face says Martin & Schwartz, Salisbury, MD in small print at the bottom. I also took two screen shots of M&S 80 pumps off the internet, and you can clearly see the "Martin & Schwartz" just under the sight glass. I wonder if Wayne made any faces without the big black blocks, where they just have the name Wayne in small print on the face?

Thanks.

Andy

M&S pump close up of front light bulb.jpg
M&S 80 - face close up.png (681.91 KB, 231 downloads)
M&S 80 face up close #2.png (619.05 KB, 255 downloads)

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved