Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#718799 Sun Oct 28 2018 02:26 PM
MtGoat Offline OP
OP Offline
Ive noticed from looking at different pictures of different pumps that some still have the motors in the snd others they are removed. Does that affect value ???

Myself id like a few fully operational pumps. But just starting to seriously look around to purchase i dont know how to determine value.....do most of you when you restore your gas pumps also rebuild the motors and plumbing ??? Or do most just have the shell with glass and lights ????

Im here to learn as much as i can.....note i plan on buying Jack Sims books

Thanks

Larry

Last edited by MtGoat; Sun Oct 28 2018 02:27 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
MtGoat #718801 Sun Oct 28 2018 03:55 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Hi Larry, this question seems to be debated as much as full oil cans or empty. It has come up several times in discussions. If you go to the search box located under your user name and type in “gas pump guts” or something similar you will find many previous threads on the topic. Overall, opinions seem about 50/50. I’m pretty new to all of this as well but searching the old threads is a great way to learn without asking the experts to answer the same questions time and time again. There are some great guys here that are happy to answer these questions, I’m just trying to make you aware of ways to find the “answer” to your question. Good luck and Happy “pumping”😉
Mike

MtGoat #718808 Sun Oct 28 2018 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gut them as it gets rid of the old stinky gas that is still in them and some have a lot! It also prevents them from leaking as they will do that as well and it eliminates a ton of weight. They will never pump gas again so no reason to make them operational but you can rig them up to make the computer spin and the bell ring without the guts.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
MtGoat #718828 Sun Oct 28 2018 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The value can be affected by the guts, both ways. Some guys will not buy a gutted pump unless it is really rare and some guys will pass on a pump with guts unless it is rare or uncommon. I prefer them without the guts because they are heavy enough with out them. I have a hard time moving them around with the guts. I do have one with the gut that will stay in. In the case of this pump I think it would help the value with them because the electric version of this pump is pretty rare compared to the hand operated model. Another reason to gut them is I can then use the pump for storage. I have limited space and keep spare parts, cleaning supplies, rags, shipping and wrapping supplies and misc. stuff in them.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved