Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
I was sent the poor quality photo below by a friend in a Historical Society wanting to sort out the original colors for graphic display they are working on. Nothing is known about the station, but what you see...they don't know the oil company or the year the photo was taken, but suspect it was in the mid 1930's.

To my eye, this could be a Mobil Oil station...I sort of see a gargoyle on the oil dispenser on the right.

Knowing the gargoyle era was red, white, and black, I am going to toss out some possible colors...and let you guys weigh in, but also realize I could be on the wrong track to start with:

Building Sign:

White with red letters

Pump:

A) White center section, red above and below.
B) White center section, black above and below
C) White center section, black above and red below

White Building with:

A) Red below
B) Black below

They would also like to know the pump make and model so they can find a better image to work with.

Thanks for your help, and expertise!

[Linked Image]

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by History Buff

To my eye, this could be a Mobil Oil station...I sort of see a gargoyle on the oil dispenser on the right.

I see the same image that looks like a gargoyle on the 3rd oil dispenser- .. ... cool
the early stations dealt in many brands which would make it hard too pinpoint any certain brand of station of subject,
was station located in the state of Washington?

RANDY
H
OP Offline
H
Yes, and in a rural area that might have had hand me down equipment and a loose attachment to a particular company.

For this project, they are not concerned with the oil company, because it will be too hard to know...no street sign, pump decal, or anything else.

The colors are more important...basically are you seeing the pump and lower color of the building as black or red? My first guess was red for both, but then I started to think about black.

I also sometimes now see the pump with a black bottom, white center and a red top...but to be honest, I have been looking at this too long.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
The gas pump looks like a Boyle-Dayton. That is a common pump that was used on the west coast.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by MATT ALVAREZ
The gas pump looks like a Boyle-Dayton. That is a common pump that was used on the west coast.

Thanks!

I was guessing maybe a Wayne, so I was at least close...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved