Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#717008 Sat Sep 22 2018 01:59 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hello everyone. Thanks for having me. Glad I found this forum. I'm a classic car guy at heart and I've decided to "accessorize" as cheaply as I can. Looking to start by buying this vintage lubester. Part of the fun for me with old cars is trying to decipher what something looked like originally and being new to petroliana I am already stumped. I'm looking for help identifying this lubester. The logo is all but unreadable and I'm guessing it's been repainted in the past. Don't suppose anyone might know? Thanks again for having me! smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Bloodhound1958; Sat Sep 22 2018 02:20 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas, if that was mine I would carefully clean it and then seal to protect it’s history. I’m sure others will chime in with more specific information on your lubster.

Have gas all the time
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I agree it looks good the way it is
Bill

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your lubester!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Color me envious... A VERY nice find indeed. As for now, I would suggest that you do NOTHING to it other than a bit of oil, so that you may roll it around a bit, and run the pumps. Please wait ever so patiently, for suggestions, as to where to go from here. I you have a favorite company, please look into their history. You might want to restore it, to their colors. But remember... It is only, original, ONCE...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't believe I ever purchased anything that was rusty, looking old and used that I didn't intend to restore. If you had a garage filled with unrestored items like this lubster it would look like a pile of junk. I am old school, "It is only, original, ONCE..." in untrue, originally it was painted a nice beautiful red, with a very nice looking decal on it. Every issue of "Check the Oil" magazine features someone's collection, I have yet to see a collection of unrestored items such as yours.

So, it is yours, do with it what you want, you are the one who has to live with it, but when someone comes over and you take him out to your garage and showing him your stuff, and he asked are you going to restore that, what are you going to say?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I prefer the aged look better myself thats just me. Picture going in a antique shop where everything is like brand new .Would you feel like you were going back in time, or would you feel like you were in Walmart ? You have a nice start to youre future collection. Welcome to Oldgas

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Sorry Wayne . Looks like we're derailing your first thread with this all too common difference of opinion. I just can't help myself. I have to say that I love it the way it is. If it was mine I would clean it and probably clear coat it with something not too shiny but enough to take away that dried out junky look. Whatever you do with it, it's a great piece. Tom

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Welcome to OLDGAS you are a member of the best site for petro ever!

Basic -- Its yours to do as you wish. If it was mine Jack Sims said it better than I.
Ever time I walked by it if left as is , I could only think what it could look like.
Several members can make your decals and a little paint nothing more. Nothing like redoing a computer on gas pumps and add glass etc.
You stated your collecting with limited funds, well this is the best item you could of bought for max bang for your buck.
Not saying it will make you rich on resale, but something that is easy,cheap, and will look great in your collection if took to the next level.

Just my opinion and you know what they say about them!
Sorry I can't help with brand of company that made it . Maybe better pics would help others with more knowledge.
Any thing on the fill lids on the holding tanks?

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sun Sep 23 2018 01:23 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It"s a Bowser. Not sure of model number....

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
The “restore” vs. “leave original” debate can and probably will go on forever. I couldn’t care less what you do with your stuff as it is your stuff and doesn’t affect me.

Your lubester looks cool.

Last edited by Jhaas63; Sun Sep 23 2018 07:07 PM.
S
S
Nice find and welcome - I have had many items that I wish I never touched other than dust off, wipe down. On the other hand, I have restored or purchased restored items that I truly loved.

Your find your call

Cheers

-Dave,

*Always interested in > Flying -A- Associated - Veedol - Tydol - Wasatch - Clipper - Sunset - Mohawk - Polly - Smith-O-Lene - Musgo
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I believe that the decal on the side is from Eldred.

Here is art for one of their lenses.

Note the center graphic.

Later . . .

Jim

Eldred-Betty-Blue---Decal.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CONGRATS!
I wouldn't touch it.
It speaks volumes the way it sits now.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun