Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Jhaas63 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
I realize that we probably aren’t objective on the subject but what do you think will happen with the value of all our signs, oil cans, pumps, etc. in the future years? I’m not talking the next 5-10 but more like 20-30-40 years from now? I also collect classic autos and wonder about those too. It’s hard to imagine that one day these things will be worth very little because they will always be apart of American history, automobile history, advertising history, etc.

When I go to car shows, I notice that a lot of the people in attendance are probably in their 50’s, 60’s,70’s and 80’s, the majority probably in their 60’s. Are the baby boomers driving up the prices of a lot of this stuff because they want it, are probably retired, have money and these items are from their generation (for the most part)? What happens when they are gone?

It’s not that I am looking to sell my collection but it’s comforting knowing that you can at least get out the money you have in if you really needed to, assuming you didn’t overspend when you bought them. Just curious on your thoughts!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Prices have gone up up up since i started back in the 80's, but in all reality they have to peak sometimes, these items will always be sought after but if your paying the extremely high prices some are selling for these days I personally dont think youll be making any money on them in the future.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe that they will go the same way as jukeboxes did in the 90's. When the current baby boomers die out and those that follow will not put such a high value on Petroliana. You will always have "collectors", but prices will stabilize, and then decline. It is just a feeding frenzy in certain areas now. Things will settle down. Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
As a collector who didn't get into this hobby until 5 years ago, I was late to the dance with regard to buying signs and pumps at the "good old day" prices. I understand there are those collectors with what seems to be unlimited financial resources who can buy the pristine pieces whenever those surface, but my biggest concern is centered on the impact that artificially aged reproduction signs will have on the little guys with limited budgets in the hobby. It seems logical that once a collector gets stung, they will be less likely to take a similar chance and will forego the purchase. Typically a reduction in demand results in a reduction in price which may be good if it results in a reluctance to continue manufacturing and selling reproduction pieces.

We were talking about this at Iowa gas. The recent price increase has taken out the average guy. You used to be able to go to a show with 5-10k and buy, buy, buy until you were tired of spending money. Now you are lucky to get 1 or 2 good pieces for that money. I am very fortunate to have all the items in my collection.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I've shared with several collector friends that I'm glad I bought the bulk of my collection when I did, before the current trend. I'm not afraid to say I doubt I could afford to replicate even half of my collection at today's prices if I just started collecting. I guess being that I collected years ago, I still find it hard to justify today's prices. This has curbed my collecting quite a bit, plus the fact that I have limited room left for additional items. While I still love petroliana and always will, after collecting as long as I have, I lost the "gotta have it all" attitude that I once had. I know another will come along, at a price I'm willing to pay.....at least this way there's always something to look for and eventually acquire.
I personally feel it will be some time though before the prices really come down. When we did the "how old are you" poll, seeing that about half of respondents are age 40-60 if I remember correctly, it will be another 30-40 years IMO before we see a huge decline in overall interest. What we collect appeals to several genres of collecting, so it will always hold some appeal. And remember, QUALITY over QUANTITY will always be the smarter road to take.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gosh, I had this conversation at swap meets back in the 80"s and most of us agreed that they couldn't go much higher. Shows you what we knew.

As said the good stuff will demand that someone will have to step up for those who want it. I think it's safe to say this hobby will always have an audience that wants to collect it but at what cost, I have no idea. Remember we thought prices couldn't go higher.

I'm not an auction guy but have been watching more to see if there are any trends, I just get surprised. Much of what I see is prices/value have pushed many out and also forced them to pay a lot money for less condition wise items. I just can't see the prices to keep climbing but I do see they have been pretty steady over the past few years. So 30 years from now, don't ask me I don't know and I won't be around to worry about it or be surprised.

As said, just glad I started when I did, but at that time we were collecting for the love of the stuff not as an investment.

Have gas all the time
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I pretty much agree with what Darin says and don't see the popularity of this hobby decreasing any time soon. But my philosophy is that I'm in it for the long haul anyways. If things peak sooner, then some of my collection may lose value. But it also means I may be able to buy things that I figure I'll never get a chance to own.

My parents started collecting antiques (stoneware, primitives, etc.) back in the early 70s. Some of their stuff has maintained value while other items have lost value, or at least have not kept up with inflation. But they don't really care because they've been able to surround themselves with the stuff that they enjoy for nearly 50 years.

Joe

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The mere fact that auction houses are asking 10% from both the buyer and seller and getting it,tells me this hobby has legs well into the future.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Cold Pizza
The mere fact that auction houses are asking 10% from both the buyer and seller and getting it

its more like 20% too 23% .. ... cool

RANDY
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
The biggest concern I see is the reproduction. As UpnorthNeil stated, as more and more people buy them at original prices,more and more will move to something else. It has gotten harder and harder to tell if it is orginal.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Dave Jones mentioned above, how about jukeboxes? Also how about Model T Fords, soda machines, cash registers, phone booths. Keep in mind, many guys collect what they remember, only some of us want to go way back to everything in the hobby.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Yes, Jack....and add postage stamps, beer cans, all but the rarer sports cards, beanie babies, and many pre-1960's (at this point) toys to the list of very strongly-priced hobby collectibles that have experienced significant price downturns from their highpoints.

Whether it references the stock and bond investment markets, OR the collectibles area, I've learned to be leery of the thought, "Don't be concerned, It's different this time".

Please note: These comments reflect my personal opinion, and should not be construed to be a personal "attack" on anyone or anyone's comments on this subject. Only after the passage of time (maybe five to ten years) will we know the answer to any question about the future of our hobby. John

J
Jhaas63 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
As the OP on this topic...the several responses here basically mirror my own thoughts on it. A part of me thinks it will always be collectible and another part thinks when the boomers are gone the bottom could drop off a bit. I do think it will always have value as an automotive antique and part of Americana.

It is hard to believe that 18-25 year old kids right now, driving their foreign cars, will care much about old gas pumps or porcelain signs of gas stations they have never heard of when they are in their 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, etc. They will be looking at the foreign stuff from their youth that they had.

I’m 36. But my dad was taking me to classic car shows when I was a little kid and have it in my blood. Almost none of my friends care about it at all.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I purchased my house to live in and not really as an investment as such. Since the purchase, we saw a bust and now we are going through another boom in our area. So I have seen the value of our home go down and come back up. Either way...it’s OK with me...it’s to live in. My sign collection is the same way. I purchased the old original signs because I like them and not as a major investment. It’s “cool” if they go up in value...but I really just like them and love my garage. It makes going out to get in my truck and returning home each day a real treat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved