Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I can't find any information on this subject, so I thought I would post the question here.
Is there any solution to the issue of vintage (full) metal oil cans collaping in on themselves? The cans I have are dented, but not due to handling or abuse. They have been in a box for 50+ years untouched. I think the issue is temp changes from hot to cold? Or the chemicals inside the can over time have began to break down and pull whatever air was in the can into itself causing itself to dent? Is the only solution draining? I was thinking that as soon as the seal broke, the dents would pop back out.
I'll probably just leave them be, but thought I'd ask if anyone has experienced this. Thanks.

20180721_210809.jpg 20180721_210743.jpg Screenshot_20180722-091634_Gallery.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
95 + % 0f my oil cans are full and have had some for 30 years or more and are in a temperature controlled garage which only gets to 40-45 degrees in the winter at worst & most typically 50 degrees in the winter and probably 70-75 in the summer . I have never experienced cavitation on any of my cans .Gets real cold here in the winter. Don't understand what is happening to your cans.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I empty all my cans that won't happen then.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IMO - some of the later versions of the metal cans are made a little more "economical" than the earlier versions which I believe causes this,
there made so economical that this problem is unavoidable & the only way too correct this is too drain the can .. ... cool

RANDY
J
OP Offline
J
Ok, Well...yes. curiosity killed the cat. I'm not one to drain metal cans, but I just punctured the bottom edge of the can with a very tiny hole. As soon as the air went in...pop! The can popped right back. No dent. I won't do this to all of them, but now its documented here on this site. I think Advertologist is right..thinner, metal cans such as this one caves in compared to the thicker cans made prior.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
the oil inside is junk. if the can should fall it's junk when full. does not make it more valuable with oil in it. should building catch on fire it will help fuel the fire. there is no good reason to keep cans full. I know it's only original once but we all buy cans empty if we want it.

Last edited by Tankar; Sun Jul 22 2018 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Johnnyrock70
...but I just punctured the bottom edge of the can with a very tiny hole.As soon as the air went in...pop! The can popped right back. No dent. I won't do this to all of them, but now its documented here on this site.

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to do this on the top of the can to prevent future weeping?

Last edited by Cold Pizza; Sun Jul 22 2018 07:46 PM.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I don't think I own a round oil can ,but my square cans pop and carry on all the time. Not so much since i finished the insulation in my garage. So I think all points made here is a factor. Steady climate is key ,and yes it makes no sense to leave them full. On the square cans I found that leaving the tops just sitting on top helps a bunch. I 've been meaning to ask 2 Gallon Luke if this is a promblem ,if so I would think his sounds like music when they go to sounding off.

Any dented can can be fixed if not creased with low pressure air but you better go slow too much and its junk.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sun Jul 22 2018 06:23 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
J
OP Offline
J
Yes, I see those are dented as well. And for whatever reason, my tops are gold..all the others I see are silver

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved