Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#712961 Tue Jul 10 2018 04:03 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi,
I'm a new member from Washington state. I've been collecting old things for most of my life. Vintage motorcycles, Kawasaki snowmobiles, old tractors, you get the idea. In the late 70's I purchased an old gas pump to pump gas from my underground tank. I used it for many years then retired it. I recently decided to try my hand at restoring it. Not knowing what I'm doing I thought it best to join here for advice.
The pump:
Manufactured by the "Southwest Pump Company" in Bonham, Texas.
Model # "90R".
It has a UL number of "668982"
The original gas company logo's were painted over but I can read "Rainbow", "Certified" and "??ETRA??"
Looking for any info about the pump and Rainbow Gas.
This pump is heavy. Two men couldn't pick it up.
Everything is there and it works.
Any idea where I can find out about the pump or locate decals would be appreciated. Also, any thoughts about value?

Last edited by Boomologist; Tue Jul 10 2018 09:20 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. A pic would be most helpful. If you need help posting my email address is in my profile. This maybe a pump cleaning up and preserving but without images it is hard to help with opinions.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your project!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Heya Ron,
Welcome to OG
Sounds like a cool pump!
I was just up in Usk picking up a visible gas pump a few weekends ago and I live in Tyler, west of Cheney.
I collect True's/Rainbow gas. They opened the very first gas station in Spokane wa. and were in business till the 60s in the eastern Washington area. Here are some pics I've copied from online.
Some of the decals are available through great vendors like Vics 66, Gas Pump Heaven and so forth. I have not checked on ad glasses lately but I'm sure they could be made.
Value of the pump depends on many factors but a picture or two could help everyone with helping determine that but if you're interested in restoring it, let me know and I'll lend a hand if you need/want it!
Enjoy the addiction because they usually multiply after the first one!! crazy

1920s Rainbow station.jpg 5202030077_c261e355df_z.jpg 55599.jpg f51d034fe99d75173837712344d9797d.jpg

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome,nice.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the replies.
Dave, if you get up my way give a shout and perhaps we can grab a cup of coffee. I also have a house near Fairchild and have a lot of old mechanical related stuff there.
I notice the logo on the pump doesn't resemble the "Rainbow Gas" that's in other picts. My logo is almost football shaped. What I can read says "RAIN???" with "CERTI????" under it and under that is "??ETRA??" (question marks are letters or spaces that are unreadabale).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow, wow, wow wow!!! what a beaut!!
Very straight and looks like it has all the very important small pieces still on it!!
I would GUESS, JUST AS IT IS, if it has the pieces on the other side too, it's worth somewhere between $1500-$2000 maybe a little more if the other side is as nice.
True's had different fuel grades and named them, Extra, Super, Certified and the usual Ethyl. The wording changed over the years. I have not seen that decal b4 but it looks right.
Here is a link to the COTM with True's pics including a oil can with the football like graphic? https://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=512990&page=4
I'll be in the Floral building of the Spokane county Fairgrounds this weekend for the car show/swap meet. Come say hi if you are there.
My property is to the south/west of the airbase and I'm in Airway often so let me know the next time you are over that way.

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
B
OP Offline
B
Dave,
Was great talking with you at the swap meet Saturday.
What a great collection you have. Was real easy to spot your section with the visible pumps.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was great to meet you and your wife Ron, Thanx for stopping by!
I was talking with someone at the swap meet, (AND I MET, Rich True, Grandson of the founder of T.O.C.) and remembered I had this pic. The pump on his left looks like the decal on yours.
I'll give you a call after my body catches up from this weekend.

25fd5b5ed3e5f24884dee19eaca83b65_zpse5737ec3.jpg

B
OP Offline
B
Here's a couple pict's of the inside.

The actual pump and motor is under the large 3 cylinder thing (don't know what to call it). It has a pipe that feeds gas to the thing. The thing has a rod comming out the top that runs the computer.

20180715_165611.jpg 20180715_165630.jpg
Last edited by Boomologist; Mon Jul 16 2018 10:53 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dave do you know what that decal on the Wayne 60 says?
I know of a visible pump west of Spokane with a good image of that palm tree decal

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is it this one Kim? I forgot where this pic came from.
I got a line on some ad glasses that have the palm tree and say this on them and I REALLY hope it comes through!!

coraline decal.png

B
OP Offline
B
Here is a pic and a rough drawing from what I see.

LOGO-B.jpg logo-A.jpg
Last edited by Boomologist; Wed Jul 18 2018 10:46 PM. Reason: Better pictures
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes that's the picture I took of the visible. tried to buy it a couple times but no go.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved