Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#711525 Fri Jun 15 2018 07:56 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hubba was the one who led me here, but it is a long story.

I've been into maps since I was a kid. Years ago I found a roadgeek who had a site about state roads, US roads,and interstates in my home state of Connecticut and I realized that I wasn't the only one. My interest waxes and wanes over the years, but that got me into buying old roadmaps that showed interstates that were under construction or proposed; some of which were ones that were never completed, like I-384 from Hartford to Providence. It only went a few miles before ending.

A dozen or so years later, I'm into it again after reading a book called UNCOMMON CARRIERS by John McPhee (It's a collection of NEW YORKER essays about transportation that included ones on long-haul trucking, barges, and coal trains) and also falling asleep to car related shows on basic cable. Then, a month or so ago, I got an oil change at a garage next to my office and the place was a grimy museum to Texaco and other oil companies. I rattled off come oil company history as well as Rhode Island highway history and the service lady asked me why I wasn't on Antique Pickers smile. This got me more into the petroliana side of things than the roadgeekery side. I recently purchased three maps from a local antiques dealer and two of them were oil company ones; a Gulf and an Exxon. The condition wasn't great, but I dig the historical aspect of holding something from the '70s like those maps. And that shop has some old maps buried away somewhere and they're supposed to reach out to me once they have the time.

I perused some City Directories for that town and have embarked on a mini-history of petroleum retailing there from 1968-1977. I may share what I have, if there's interest.

Oh, yeah. I found this place a month or so ago after I saw Hubba on TV and Googled him.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome aboard .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your collecting!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome.

G
OP Offline
G
Thank you gentlemen. After finding this place, Kezar Kid's Amoco photos from his grandad made me decide to dive in here.

Early Amoco Filling Station pictures

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome!

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to OldGas!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved