Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#708516 Mon Apr 23 2018 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I find myself in need of a copper screw type base for a 13 1/2 inch glass globe body, and also one of the taller types for a Gargoyle globe.
I know they are reproduced but I would rather have originals if possible?

Thanks--KEVIN

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #708519 Mon Apr 23 2018 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin, I am sure you probably know this but there are two sizes of the Gargoyle fitters. I found out trying to locate one for mine a few years ago. I gave up on locating a real one so got one from Pergl. The first one he sent to me was too small. When I called him about it he said that the vast majority used that size but mine must be the one with the recessed outer red ring on the globe. I told him that he was right, my globe did have the recessed ring. At the time he was out of material or something and only had enough to make one ring the size I needed but it didn't turn out to suit him when he made it so he sent it to me at no charge so i would have one to use. That ring is still on my globe, I never got around to replacing it with a better one and never have found an original for it. Just thought I would throw this info out there, sorry if it was info you already had....GB

K W FRITH #708565 Mon Apr 23 2018 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I did not have that info. I have only owned one other Gargoyle globe and it was mint with the original ring. It just didn't look right on my old cabinet, so I sold it. This one is faded and looks the part to me, so I bought it. I will probably have to use a repop fitter for it but thought I would toss it out there? Hopefully I can at least find an original for the 13.5?

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #708603 Tue Apr 24 2018 12:34 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
99 views and nothing? Probably better spring for the repops I guess? I surely thought someone would have one for the 13 1/2 glass body?

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #711130 Sat Jun 09 2018 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
UPDATE!---I have tried 2 different ones from Pergl and they are just too tight to force onto the globe. I have the same Gargoyle globe as Gary was talking about--with the recessed red outer ring, and Pergls were supposedly made for just that globe but I'll be darned if I could get them to work? Seems like there should be one around somewhere? Its a shame to have this globe sitting on the bench instead of on top my cabinet where it belongs!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
K W FRITH #711143 Sat Jun 09 2018 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Kevin, when he made the one I have that would finally go on he said he barely rolled threads into the collar so it wouldn't shrink it any more than absolutely necessary. You can see from the picture that the threads are very shallow in the collar and even then the last turn or so was tight when I screwed it on. I even used a little vasoline on the threads to make it go on a little easier and thought that might help should I ever want to get it back off. Maybe you could mention this to them and see if they could make you one that way. It's been at least five or six years ago they made mine and if I remember right Chuck was still alive then and he was the one who made this one for me. I usually talk to Mike now and he is a good guy so maybe he can try again for you. It also seems to me like they used a different size stock to make the bigger ones so maybe he just tried to make a looser fitting one this way from the stock he has. Who knows? Evidently there aren't too many of the recessed ring Gargoyles out there as they told me they rarely sold a ring for one. I figure our chances of finding an original one are slim to none so I am glad I at least got this one to work. I had the globe setting on the shelf without a fitter for a long time myself. Keep us posted if you figure it out....

IMG_1944.JPG
K W FRITH #711145 Sat Jun 09 2018 04:36 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Keith,

I think I have a couple globe collars that don’t have bodies in one of my dozen boxes I haven’t unpacked. I’ll try and look for them in the next couple of days and let you know.

Marshall

Always looking for more Derby, Vickers, KanOTex, & Elreco gasoline & oil items!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved