Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#709458 Thu May 10 2018 08:20 PM
O
OP Offline
O
We came across this unusual pump in preparation for an upcoming live auction we are conducting on Saturday, May 12. The pump has an external steel frame with inset porcelain panels in red, white, and blue. The internals are present, but I don't believe them to be functional. The dial is marked "SOHIO" and "THE STANDARD OIL CO. (OHIO)". I could not find any other markings or labels indicating a manufacturer, so I don't know if Sohio made these for their own stations' use or if they were made by someone else. The way the dial is marked makes me believe they were made exclusively for Sohio, but I could be wrong.

Any information that could add to my knowledge about this pump would be greatly appreciated. If you have any questions for me about the pump or the upcoming auction, please message me and I will respond as quickly as I can. I know this is short notice, but I didn't really have time to study the pump much until today when we started setting up the sale.

Thanks!

20180512_GasPump.jpg
Sohio Pump

20180512_GasPumpDial.jpg
Sohio Pump Dial

Last edited by OHAuctioneer; Thu May 10 2018 08:52 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Online Cool
Click on my user name to "View Profile" and send me your photos by the email address shown in my profile. I'll help you to get them to appear.

Where is the auction? Can you provide a link to a Web page?

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #709460 Thu May 10 2018 08:55 PM
O
OP Offline
O
I used the file manager...I think the pictures are posting now.

I wasn't sure if I could link to the auction, since I just registered, but the details on the auction can be seen here: https://goo.gl/2RsU3Q

Online Cool
I've never seen this gas pump. Pump manufacturers often made special model gas pumps as ordered by petroleum companies.

This pump looks similar to a Milestone model on page 195 of the 2nd edition of "An Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps" by Jack Sim, but it's not a cash recorder.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a farm pump.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't think it was a farm pump, pumps wound up on farms after they were used in stations. Farms used to get free pumps as long as they purchased gasoline from the petroleum distributor they got the pump from. Plus, there was no reason to brand farm pumps since they did not sell gasoline.

Someone should recognize that face, it sure looks familiar to me. The strange thing for me except for the top, the pump looks homemade to me, it looks like just angle iron, nothing fancy.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
O
OP Offline
O
Thanks for the help. guys. Someone came to take a closer look at it today, and located a tag with a serial number, but the name was not legible. We'll see what it's worth on Saturday.

O
OP Offline
O
For anyone interested, the pump sold today at a live auction for $2000.00.

Online Cool
Thanks for the pictures and auction price on this unusual gas pump.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved