Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#708980 Tue May 01 2018 09:38 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I picked up this 48" double sided Sinclair sign in its original bracket with a friend of mine tonight. I did a quick wash, a light muratic acid scrub, and a Howard Feed-N-Wax treatment as I read to do on this site. It was really easy and only took about 25 min total. The sign turned out great, I just wish I would have taken more pics before and during the process. The only thing we've run into is there's a small portion of the sign that seems to have what I would call a light oxidation. It's roughly 6" x 8". It still shines, but seems like it's sitting on top of the porcelain, and is a little rough to the touch, enough to catch little fibers from the rag used with the wax. It's not that noticeable, but since I know it's there, it bothers me lol. Any tips to try to remove or smooth it out, or is it actually the porcelain itself that's damaged from years of being in the elements. Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

20180501_181341.jpg 20180501_181245.jpg 20180501_181228-1.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm sure most if not all people will say leave it alone; but Ive always been a little more aggressive with this than most. These signs are pretty tough but once the top glaze is gone the porcelain can get stained and not much you can do about it. If it bothers you, can try a light scouring pad, may clean up but possible you'll start to lose shine. In rough spots I've used 1000 grit and hit it with a buffer after. Have to be really careful as easy to lose shine, but it works. I did this years ago with this identical sign,

Last edited by Paul Bell; Wed May 02 2018 08:39 PM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Like Paul said, if the porcelain is chalky of just leave it be & enjoy. If it won’t buff out with mother’s wheel polish, its probably there to stay. Chris

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Bar keepers friend works also,Wally world carries it.

Frank Jordan
P
P
Great sign! The Sinclair H-C's are one of my favorites.
Ditto on the Bar Keepers Friend.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the porcelain is rough or chaulky bar keepers friend can actually make it worse. I use barkeeprs along with westleys white wall cleaner and makes a sorta paste, works good. Chris

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved