Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Rabbitman #705789 Mon Mar 05 2018 11:10 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I don't have a horse in this race, but from the start, I haven't understood why someone doesn't just call the company to get more information about these signs in question. After all, they're located in the U.S., and likely even have an 800#. Certainly, someone there has been around long enough to have the answers. I can't imagine why they would not be cooperative. What better way to get these "is it real or repro" questions answered definitively? Now, if we could just that about all the other signs we have doubts about! John

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jolly-John #705800 Mon Mar 05 2018 03:56 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
I did call them but a gal of 25 years there said she didnt remember the shell sign and refered me to a guy who was there longer. he never returned my call. they arent very helpful there.

2018030395124830.jpg shell tombstone.jpg
Last edited by gasgeezer; Mon Mar 05 2018 03:58 PM. Reason: to ad photo
Rabbitman #705840 Tue Mar 06 2018 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
John, I used to just pick up the phone and call on just about anything, like you said it's a lot better to just talk to someone. However, it's gotten to the point that I get tired of either getting a service or some person answering the phone who will always know little or nothing and you get the " I'll have someone call you" answer and then nothing. Nowadays if you don't communicate by email you seem to get ignored by the majority of places. I directed my email to the company president who,according to their info, is a family member who has been there forever. You would think you could at least get a reply of "Sorry, can't help you", at the very least but.......

Rabbitman #705848 Tue Mar 06 2018 11:32 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My apologies, Les and Gary. You two were way ahead of me on this. I should have know that! Thanks for being so cordial in your replies.

I agree with your points that personal service does seem non-existent at many businesses these days. I regard what we get on the phone, or even email, at many places these days as "customer non-service". However, it always surprises me a bit when the service is ***** at a smaller or even medium-sized company. Heck, better and more personal service is one way these small outfits can differentiate themselves and out-shine the big boys in their business. Good luck in the search for more specific info on these signs. Best, John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Tue Mar 06 2018 11:37 AM.
Jolly-John #705849 Tue Mar 06 2018 11:48 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Update on the company info! I Just DID recieve a call from Shawn, who i believe is the company manager. said he has been there almost 50 years and for the last 30 or 40 yrs they dont much stamp the signs anymore. He said that the old stamps had scoito canton O on them NOT Oh! so that was about the only givaway pointer he had for me. To his knowledge they NEVER made any porcelain signs!! as for a log of signs theyve made he said all he could do is go to old rollodex card files and see who orderd signs and that there werent any pics for refference. I asked him about people wanting him to repro signs and he said,,,, quite a few have but he wouldnt copy anyone elses signs so they move on. especially he said if they wanted another manufactuers name on the sign! It was nice to see he has integrity!! So nope he didnt recall ever making the shell sign as it would have been before his time there. I was pleased with his time he spent answering questions and he was very sorry it took so long to reply to me. Guess we just need to be more patient sometimes........... Hope any of this will help!

Rabbitman #705896 Tue Mar 06 2018 08:58 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
That’s great that you got a call Les. Like you said patience is usually a virtue and this issue isn’t of grave importance to busy people. After reading your post i am still a little confused though. Does the fact that the stamped signs would have only had a Canton mark on them mean they didn’t make the tin tacker like mine with a Kenton, OH Mark? I’m still not sure why a copied sign would have a Scioto mark and especially a date on it. It sounds like if they did make the Hood signs it would’ve been for a company that was the owner of that name or had the rights to it. I have been doing a little more detailed reading on Hood and even though the Watertown plant closed in ‘69 I haven’t found where all tire sales ended then. Guess they could’ve had other plants that made tires after that, even if they contracted them made. I’m going to keep digging. I talked to another Oldgasser last week who has one of the same signs and he is as curious as I am as to it’s origin and authenticity or lack thereof. The more we talk about it the more intrigued I become! Oh and John, I took absolutely no offense to your post. Great discussion.

Les, after reading your post again I think I took the part about stamped wrong. Did you mean they stopped stamping them with their name and date? I was thinking you meant a stamped/embossed type sign for some reason....

Last edited by Rabbitman; Tue Mar 06 2018 09:09 PM. Reason: Added text.
Rabbitman #705901 Wed Mar 07 2018 12:26 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
It was the stamped name. He said he didnt remember them dating the signs but maybe before he was there. That may also be a hint on repros as hes been there a long time and iff its a 1975 date well probly not real. He also said most signs are ordered by distributors and not the individual manufacturer of the product such as goodyear or firestone etc. those are just pulled outa my a>> as he didnt name any specific co. aparently distributors order for many companies. And you are right its Kenton not canton. If yours has an OH insted of just an O he said its not right.

Last edited by gasgeezer; Wed Mar 07 2018 12:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Rabbitman #705916 Wed Mar 07 2018 09:52 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well I guess the OH on mine is the giveaway then. If it was made in 1976 that would be forty two years ago and sounds like he should know. Whoever made it did a pretty good job except for that mark, down to the green back. Plus, the known originals are embossed. But it’s the little details like the “O” versus the “OH” that’s the giveaway a lot of times. Thanks for the info Les.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved