Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Grand opening of my 1/24 scale 1969 body shop Zephyr gas station. Some components were built from scratch and some from kits. The present cars were purchased already built. I've enjoyed building it and plan on adding some more details and a small town Buick dealership next door. I was a combination body shop tech for over 30 years and a painter for the last 10 before I retired.

IMG_20180225_095850.jpg IMG_20180225_091846.jpg IMG_20180225_085745.jpg IMG_20180225_085832.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
More photos of the grand opening of my scale model body shop gas station. I've gathered bits and pieces for nearly 20 years, hoping to find time to do this. Finally hashed it out.

IMG_20180225_085926.jpg IMG_20180225_085947.jpg IMG_20180225_090041.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow that is crzy insane the detail you went through. You better not ***** that painter off!

I am always looking for anything Texaco or Oklahoma oil and gas company's, also I am a newbie at seeking globes.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
That turned out great! You have a lot of patience. I can’t imagine it was easy to do with such small pieces.

Always looking for Veedol and Tydol cans and signs
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by texacokie
Wow that is crzy insane the detail you went through. You better not ***** that painter off!

The painter is a pussycat. The guy to watch out for is his buddy holding the engine.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
A
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
A
That's an incredible piece of work - suitable for a museum. I would love to know more about which items you fabricated. How did you come up with the realistic looking lighted neon?

Jeff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did you make the signs yourself--and is that an outhouse in the last picture? Don't tell me you worked at a place with an outhouse. laugh

I like how you kept the roof off, so everyone can see all the cool stuff inside. Did you say someone made the figurines for you--nice detail there!

Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by autoxnut
That's an incredible piece of work - suitable for a museum. I would love to know more about which items you fabricated. How did you come up with the realistic looking lighted neon?

Thanks for the kind words. The neons are just photos I printed on heavy card stock and covered with clear packing tape for gloss. That's the poor boy's lamination method. wink I built the lubester, parts stand (holding the car door), oil can rack and the tire display stand from scratch. The gas globe is two shirt buttons glued together, painted, then photos of globe lenses glued on. Next, I'm making a Milton driveway bell out of a button.

miltonbell-tirestand.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Nicole
Did you make the signs yourself--and is that an outhouse in the last picture? Don't tell me you worked at a place with an outhouse. laugh
I like how you kept the roof off, so everyone can see all the cool stuff inside. Did you say someone made the figurines for you--nice detail there!

Thanks! The signs I printed in a highly reduced size, nearly all from photos I took. The outhouse is not really in the correct time period, but I couldn't resist adding it to the diorama after seeing the kit offered for sale. Fun building it. Lots of figurines are available for "G" scale model railroads. I picked some that looked appropriate and modified a couple of them to be closer to what I wanted.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Great job Jim! You have to pretty proud with the way it all turned out. We greatly appreciate you sharing it with us.

Now, to protect it form collecting dust.

Randy
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Beautiful work Jim.I'm saving these to my browser for future reference.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great job Jim! Love the detail

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Real labor of love . Great detail . Keep it up and your will be putting an extension on your garage to hold the display ! smile

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by autoxnut

Here are pics of some of my scratch-built pieces. The lubester is a block of wood with bits of electic wire and a sewing pin. The oil can rack is a photo on thin wood with wire legs. The tire stand is printed on card stock paper and folded with a model car tire. The Milton Bell is a painted button with a photo glued to it. The fan belts are black rubber bands with photos of belt labels glued on. The parts stand is 12 ga wire soldered together with necklace chain.

The neon is just a printed photo with clear packing tape over it. I'm sure I could replicate neon with wire painted with neon color paint. But the precision bending would be the crucial test of skill.

Click to view a short video of the diorama:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmMrOGttzCX/

IMG_20180227_130143.jpg IMG_20180227_133946.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Awesome Job Jim, great detail all around!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved