Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#704455 Mon Feb 12 2018 09:14 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
My uncle who is a retired firefighter also had a side job on his days off from the department like so many other firefighters do. He had a sign business for as long as I can remember. He has also now retired from that as well. I have been to his shop many times over the years and also helped him a few times. His shop always had a lot of left over stuff everywhere and things you just can't throw away for fear of needing it later. He had told me he had cleaned up some around the place since he retired and I had also not been there for quite some time. I had stopped by to look at an old camaro that belong to my cousin we used to run the roads with that he was thinking about selling. As I was looking at the car I noticed this Western Auto sign along the edge of the fence mostly covered by the trees. I thought I was seeing things until I got closer. I could not believe I had missed this sign so many times before. He told me that he had taken the sign down many years ago and they offered to give it to him for payment of his services. He said he remembered the sign from many years ago as a kid when he got his first bike. He offered to give it to me if I promised not to sell it and that I would some day restore the neon on it. How could I say no! I cleaned one side but it still needs some work (both sides are about the same). Its now my favorite sign but mostly because he gave it to me and I have always felt really close to him and my aunt. I hope some day to be able to pass some of my gas and oil items along to someone close to me that will also have some appreciation for them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WOW. Thats a great sign! And you got a GE to boot! Great present.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice, that is a sign I've always admired.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
KZ1000 #704492 Tue Feb 13 2018 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen several of those signs still mounted on building. Cool sign.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Got my first set of cap guns from a Western Auto store many moons ago. I would love to see the neon restored on your sign!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sweet!!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved