Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#703536 Mon Jan 29 2018 07:11 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Have not seen many old members posting for quite a while, they still around ?

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Craig Osbeck #703539 Mon Jan 29 2018 07:43 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I'm with you, Craig. I still keep checking in everyday (I'm retired). I'm wondering if there aren't a lot of other old members that do the same thing, only don't post. Like many others, I defected to Facebook for awhile, but it's turned into somewhat of a joke. People continually wanting to know values of rusted worthless oil cans etc. plus their foul comments, is causing me to leave them. I'm still comfortable with Oldgas knowing that there are great people here willing to share knowledge. Sam

Craig Osbeck #703540 Mon Jan 29 2018 08:23 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Good Evening Greg,

I can say from experience that there have been times I have asked questions here (and maybe some of the questions have been too advanced or maybe nobody knows that answer) and I either get no replies or I get some smart ***** reply. I also posted stuff for sale and either nobody was interested or I if I did get an offer it was an insult. So I come here to see what info I can get or see whats for sale but don't say a whole lot. I know some dealers and some collectors who do the same as me for the same reasons I have just said. I understand dealers have got to make money on stuff, but don't insult me. I also have been involved with gas pumps one way or another for close to 20 years now and I have had pumps that most folks would have wet dreams about. I have had at least one pic of a gas pump stolen and posted to their site (just saw this a week ago) and was never asked if they could use the pic. I suspect that at least 1 pic will end up in the new gas pump book and I won't get any acknowledgement. I will accept responsibility for being too trusting with photos back in the day and not getting copy rights to the pics I posted. (I also know the guy I sold the pump to has NEVER posted a pic of the pump on here, he has not sold it, and it has not seen sunlight since the day that pic was taken.) I don't care and won't fuss about that cause I am not a glory hound, but I am telling what has happened to me and I KNOW for a fact that has happened to other folks as well. I have met in person some really good people on here, and I also have met a couple of real clowns.

Sorry if this has offended folks but that is why some folks aren't on here much any more. I also know that a lot of folks have passed away and that has hurt the veterans responses too.

TN Volunteer

Savinsam #703552 Mon Jan 29 2018 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted by Savinsam
I'm with you, Craig. I still keep checking in everyday (I'm retired). I'm wondering if there aren't a lot of other old members that do the same thing, only don't post. Like many others, I defected to Facebook for awhile, but it's turned into somewhat of a joke. People continually wanting to know values of rusted worthless oil cans etc. plus their foul comments, is causing me to leave them. I'm still comfortable with Oldgas knowing that there are great people here willing to share knowledge. Sam

For what it's worth , I own a couple of groups on Face Book . I don't exactly want buying and selling as it's become somewhat of a retired man's past time to speculate on what USED to be an enjoyable hobby . Meanwhile , I continue to stop into Old Gas daily . I still can't for the life of me figure out how to post pictures so , I guess if anyone wants pictures , stop by my Diorama group known as Roadside Relic Dioramas . It's "Public " so ya don't necessarily have to join the group to see what's going on .

see ya on the road folks !
Craig Osbeck #703581 Tue Jan 30 2018 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ellen,

If you want to send me your phone number in a PM, I can call you some night and try to help you out and walk you through on how to post a picture.

Just make sure you send it in a Private Message, DO NOT post your number in a reply below.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Tue Jan 30 2018 04:06 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Craig Osbeck #703585 Tue Jan 30 2018 06:15 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I’m obviously a new member and just started getting into this hobby. I come from a firearms background but don’t insult people by low balling them. I also keep what I get and don’t flip or pic people. I appreciate the older members here that give their knowledge. I also have a different outlook at this hobby, every time I can obtain a pump or sign, I personally view it as rescuing a piece of history. It gives me a a sense of pride and awe just thinking about the families that could have used a pump etc. while on vacation or the types of “classic” cars that gassed up at one of these. I am a Harley owner and can’t afford an old split window Corvette etc. but I imagine at one time there was one that did. I know we all have our own reasons why this hobby appeals to us, but this is my .02.

Craig Osbeck #703591 Tue Jan 30 2018 07:51 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Anybody know what has happened to Ray Sieder in Calif who's wife passed away, he was always on here with a lot of nice signs.

Last edited by Craig Osbeck; Tue Jan 30 2018 07:52 PM.

Craig
Craig Osbeck #703595 Tue Jan 30 2018 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
He was last on line here @ 2:15 on the 24th of this month.
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=353

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Craig Osbeck #703602 Tue Jan 30 2018 11:31 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
DB always told me not to post anything here on OG when I came home from playing darts and of course drinking beer, so I will say this, tomorrow i will post a little info about the pictures I use in my books.

TN Volunteer, I wish I knew your name, it is not listed on your profile, sometimes I think this site is becoming a secret society. If you will email me your name I will email you back if I have listed it in my accomplishments for the 3rd book. Just send me your last name, that way there will be no question as to whether I have your name or not. My email address is: jhsim@petrocollect.com.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Craig Osbeck #703605 Wed Jan 31 2018 02:21 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't know if I qualify as an 'old member' whistle but for some of us, other aspects of life creep in and we get busy...

Craig Osbeck #703607 Wed Jan 31 2018 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally I use Facebook and Old Gas. I think there are pros and cons for both.
I am 72 now and things in life change. Priorities change as well.
You deal with health problems that make some things more important in life and get tired of drama.
I have only been on Old Gas for about twelve years.
I like Facebook because I know who I am dealing with in most cases by looking at their profiles.
On Old Gas many people just list their name and state, if that. No real contact information.
I guess todays society makes some people paranoid. Personally, I post all of my contact information.
If you want to try to steal from me, I say go for it. You may be in for one hell of a surprise.
I agree there are a lot of idiots on Facebook, but you can easily "BLOCK" them and they can no longer see you or anything you post.
I think many people post on Facebook because of the way you post pictures. Pretty much one click from your computer or phone.
I got my first computer in 1983. Windows came out in 1986, so I don't have trouble posting pictures on Old Gas, but some people do.
The world has changed with technology and people have too. Smartphones have also had a huge effect.
Everything has to be faster. Facebook is faster.
That all being said, Old Gas has been a meeting place for the hobby for many, many years. It has brought more true Petroliana collectors together than anything else.
I applaud Jim Potts for a great job for all these years.
At one time Terry Hubert had a second hobby Forum.
Some of the "hard liners" on Old Gas considered anyone who posted on there an "Outcast" and called it "The other channel".
I remember the time i was introduced to Dick Bennett at Iowa Gas, he said "I know you, you post on The Big Cheese Forum" and turned and walked away.
It was years before we spoke, but sorry to say we never really became friends. He was an incredibly knowledgeable person when it came to Petroliana.
Maybe a little rough for some, but you have to except people for who they are.
I think Old Gas is still the best group meeting place for gas & oil, but the world moves on.
You can lead, follow or step aside. The choice is up to you.
But just because someone does something different, or does not like something you like, it is not a bad thing.
So if you don't like Facebook, it simple, don't go there.
If you don't like what people say on here or Facebook, "CLICK" and move on. Life is too short to be bothered with IDIOTS.

Last edited by Old Racer; Wed Jan 31 2018 06:49 AM.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Craig Osbeck #703609 Wed Jan 31 2018 07:27 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very well stated John. I have been on Old Gas a little bit longer than you and also use Facebook and you nailed it. There are always a few people that are hard to deal with, but they can be set aside, and the vast majority are great folks. I'm 71, log on to this great site every day, and hope to be able to enjoy the this hobby for many years to come.

Hardy's Garage #703610 Wed Jan 31 2018 07:38 AM
John, I take back all those rotten things I said about you the other day! Take care buddy, hope to see you soon.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Craig Osbeck #703616 Wed Jan 31 2018 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
I'm still here and check in most days, i use FB too....

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Craig Osbeck #703617 Wed Jan 31 2018 09:06 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am now retired at age 70 and check Oldgas daily to stay abreast of what's going on in the hobby that I have been involved in for 25 years. I understand that Facebook has become big in the hobby, however, I do not have a Facebook account and not sure I want one. Oldgas is a great resource with a lot of good people. My only complaint in recent years is that there are numerous pickers/profiteers on the site, but am sure they are for the most part, good people also.

Someone asked about Ray Seider. Ray is alive and well (now remarried) in CA and I saw him at Iowa Gas last August.

Last edited by nebrgas; Wed Jan 31 2018 09:10 AM.

Dave
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved