Next Thread
Print Thread
#699660 Sat Dec 02 2017 09:06 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Just checked on this and not sure if the complete auction is over with. Say online over, but not sure if the whole thing is over. Hope not for owners sake. Thought that the live auction part was on Sunday the 3rd.

Craig
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Looks like it is over, Soft prices for sure on the neons. Too much big dollar stuff coming out and possibly not enough money to absorb all of this.
Still good money though maybe on the porcelain.

Craig
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Craig, I was monitoring the auction throughout the day. I had the impression that a lot of the neon that went below estimates was described as original signs with "added" neon. Not sure if that means the neon was relatively new but it seems like the buyers were only willing to pay the porcelain value in some cases.

Last edited by jecos; Sun Dec 03 2017 06:22 AM.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Just my opinion.....

To think that prices were either high or low is likely based on comparison to other recent auctions or known private sales. It's fair and reasonable to make those determinations based on relatively current trends however, values are best considered within a wide, variable range. I don't necessarily think anyone paid too much or "stole" anything. The new owner was the person willing and able to pay the most, on that day, out of the audience at hand. No two pieces are identical and each transaction is unique. Every day delivers a new reality.

As far as the "added neon" items. Drilling holes in a sign, for any reason, regardless of it's condition, diminishes value. At least to some degree, it has literally been destroyed. Now add neon to a piece that never had it in the first place and you have created a fantasy sign. Even though you spent some money during the process, surely it can not have the same value as one that is all original.....at least to the purist. I will admit though, in the auto hobby, Hot Rods and Resto-Mods often sell for more than their factory-stock counterparts. It's all in the eyes of the beholder.

I must emphasize again that this is simply my personal outlook. Thank goodness we don't all think the same. I have enjoyed this hobby and the people in it for many years. I intend no criticism or judgments made towards anyone. No matter what the piece, unless you happen to have a double...whether it's "mint", a "barn hanger", original, modified or even a reproduction...it's your best one and you can be proud of it.

Last edited by Donald D. Brock; Sun Dec 03 2017 07:37 AM.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
No argument on the drilled neons for sure. Thoughts were on the original porcelain, oil racks, pumps and other things. Yes it diminishes valve to have a sign drilled unless it is a barn hanger and by the way if you want it to enjoy it that way. Good signs to drill is a waste of a good sign, but also all the new signs coming out do not help either.
Collectors are still going to collect, and decorators are going to do what they do. The move it seems more now is to keep most items from pumps, signs, and what ever original even if ruff. Some things though just need to be fixed and there is no leave it alone.
I will say this though, I do not go to auctions anymore without the calculator running on the buyers premium. Make my bids reflecting this point. Some people just do not go to those auctions, and some know that and use that knowledge to make a good buy.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So do we know why the auction ended for sure?

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Guess it was to end on the 2nd, thought it was the third. My mistake.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No Craig you are right its in PCM Magazine. It says December 2&3 2017

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Donald D. Brock
As far as the "added neon" items. Drilling holes in a sign, for any reason, regardless of it's condition, diminishes value. At least to some degree, it has literally been destroyed. Now add neon to a piece that never had it in the first place and you have created a fantasy sign. Even though you spent some money during the process, surely it can not have the same value as one that is all original...

...agree 100%...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I was at the auction. Soooo many signs were altered with added neon, touch-up, restoration, clear coat, etc. Easily more than half the items. This forces bidders to bid very conservatively, even when something is described as not being altered.

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
Yes, the owner was surprised also, for he was not told of some of the signs that were touched up and cleared. Some were presented to him and this was years ago as totally original and then hung up. Finding out later was not a happy note.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just an FYI there was some major billing issues with this auction if you used Proxibid. I bid on several items and won none of them. However, I was just billed $378 dollars for an item I never even bid on!! I checked my Proxibid and it confirmed that I never bid on the item, nor did I win it. I called Morphy's and they apologized and advised me not to pay the bill. They stated there were numerous screw-ups with Proxibid.

So just an FYI, check your bill before you pay for it.

-Steve

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
I think it was just a weak sale...for looking back at the catalog only about 8 pieces neared high estimate everything else barely made low estimate or under. I couldn't believe it. I'm just happy with what I was able to score. There was a lot of untouched pieces that I thought were bargains.

BryceG #699925 Tue Dec 05 2017 10:57 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Originally Posted By BryceG
I was at the auction. Soooo many signs were altered with added neon, touch-up, restoration, clear coat, etc. Easily more than half the items. This forces bidders to bid very conservatively, even when something is described as not being altered.

Couldn't agree more.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved