Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#699696 - Sun Dec 03 2017 05:50 PM Removing paint from Porcelain Sign
51hudson Offline

Loc: colorado
I have a porcelain Frontier Rarin To Go sign that has been re-purposed many times and has a few coats of paint on it. It is a keyhole shaped sign and is about 6 feet tall and wide. I also have the heavy frame that was mounted to a pole. I can get the frame blasted and powder coated. What is the best way to remove the many layers of paint from the sign without damaging it?
The sign has also been used as target practice so it probably isn't in great shape to begin with.I tried to post a picture but it said it is too big and I don't know how to shrink it.

Thanks
Don

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#699698 - Sun Dec 03 2017 05:59 PM Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign [Re: 51hudson]
Oldgas Online   cool

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
On the Google Custom Search form in the upper right corner of this page, type in "cleaning porcelain signs" and click the Search button.

Lots of great info available on this forum in past topics.

Here are links for help with different ways of posting pictures in your message.
Pictures of the File Manager direct image upload step-by-step process:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=129148#Post189696

Resizing photo images for easy upload using File Manager:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199328

Or resize by using our "EZ Image Resize to use in other forums" gallery:
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32

#699700 - Sun Dec 03 2017 06:07 PM Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign [Re: Oldgas]
51hudson Offline

Loc: colorado
I've been a member for some time, but this is my first time posting. So I think I have figured out the resize issue. I will give it shot

Attachments
sign painted.jpg

#699715 - Sun Dec 03 2017 08:12 PM Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign [Re: 51hudson]
cggas Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: northern in.
Brush on paint stripper & a plastic scraper.

#699805 - Mon Dec 04 2017 07:18 PM Re: Removing paint from Porcelain Sign [Re: 51hudson]
Speedracer Online   content
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan, USA (near Chesterfie...
^^^What he said^^^

It's hard to tell how many bullet holes are in it from that picture, but that sign may still look really nice after you clean it up with paint stripper.

Please post an after picture.

-Steve

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved