Print Thread
#697828 Mon Oct 30 2017 05:31 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hello All,
This is my first post and hopefully, I am doing it correctly. I just purchased what I thought a first was a 3 wheeled lubester. I have Jack's book on my I-Phone and did some looking and researching. The pumping apparatus looks just like the one in his book. The now uncovered brass plate reads Erie with Merit underneath, oil & grease equipment. Model 2431-5 Serial Number UM80813. The pump and cart looks just like his picture except it has rubber wheels and the two are in front with the caster wheel in the back.The push bar appears to be factory welded in place and not bolted on. Its covered in muck so I am thinking the container itself sets into the frame of where the wheel base is attached and the previous owner(s) switched it up.I have not had time to clean it up other than to put some love on the plate. Am I correct or way off? If anything it will look nice in my garage and a good conversation piece.
Thanks,
Corey

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Verbal descriptions of an old piece of gas & oil equipment are hard to visualize and come to a conclusion as to whether or not you are correct in your assumptions. If you could somehow produce a photo of the apparatus, that would solve a lot of the guesswork. You are probably correct if the pumping mechanism matches the drawing in Jacks book, but a photo would help the rest of us to form an opinion.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is the picture of his gas cart.
From the looks of it, I would say that your assumptions are correct.

gas cart.jpeg

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Thank you for posting the pic.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Does anyone have one of these in their collection or photos of one I can’t find one on Google. I would really like to see what one looks like that’s complete or in better shape.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your cart is a ERIE-MERIT S-165-R (also numbered 165-A-60RW), 1935, sixty gallon tank. My picture from 1935 shows it with small metal wheels. None of the pictures I have show that metal plate that is in front of the pump itself. Not much of my literature for this unit has a date on it, except for one which shows the unit still being offered in 1940. It also shows that the price for the unit was at one time was $50.00. This literature is for sale, just email me. jhsim@petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Jack, thanks for responding.

Are these rare or just not sought after? I have a Tokheim 300 done in a Fire Chief and Hopefully will be procuring a Wayne 100 this weekend and turning it into a White Eagle with a milk glass globe. It’s not obviously as decorative as the stationary pumps but I have a project in mind for it such as turning it into a Polly with a white hose and brass nozzle as I am just getting started on collecting. Thoughts?

Last edited by Corey1955; Thu Nov 02 2017 03:09 AM.
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
I did some research on the wheels. They are Ohio Rubber Company (ORCO). Out of the Northern part of Ohio. The rubber company used to manufacture lewisite a chemical ware fare agent during WW1 or WW2 when not making rubber tires. I have it all cleaned up and put on a white cloth covered gas hose and brass nozzle with a hook. What do you guys think this thing is worth. In Jacks book it lists $1,300.00 but I am sure that’s in mint condition.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Here’s the semi finished product

EDF2B9A0-F750-4D96-8C1A-E42C1B4B04B4.jpeg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved