Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
I'm nearing completion of the restoration / conversion of a Wayne 70. It was missing the nameplate when I got it so I had to order a reproduction. Can anyone assist me in choosing what to stamp on the nameplate? Specifically, what should I put for the serial number and inspection number? Specifically I'm looking to find numbers that would match the specific age of the pump and paint scheme I used. The paint scheme I used is the Mobilgas Special (premium grade 1946-1962) The pump is a Wayne 70 manufactured between 1947 to 1960. Was the model number just "70"?
Brian

resized wayne 70.jpg

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Your pump is a version of the Wayne 577-R. This pump was originally sold for commercial use and these pumps were used to fuel trucks or other heavy equipment. Notice the long hose, much longer than hoses that were used in service stations that catered to normal automobiles and the lack of ad-glass panels usually indicates a commercial use. It wasn't necessary to advertise the gas company because gas was not sold to the public.
As I said it is a version of the 577-R, the picture I have of the pump has the sight glass just an inch or two above the face bezel. My records show that this pump was made from 1946 to 1949. You decide which year you want to use and I will post a serial number that was used. Also, nothing on any ID tag ever indicated what colors were used on the pump and with a few exceptions the name of the company also was not on the ID tag.

Here are some pictures that are on my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/wayne%20577r.htm

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Oct 18 2017 11:09 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This may not match the pump but this is what I did to a pump I own that did not have a tag. For a serial number I stamped my initials then the last four digits of my social security number. That way if it is ever stolen and recovered there will not be any doubt who owns the pump. Mitch

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This may not match the pump but this is what I did to a pump I own that did not have a tag. For a serial number I stamped my initials then the last four digits of my social security number. That way if it is ever stolen and recovered there will not be any doubt who owns the pump. Mitch

B
OP Offline
B
Besides the "hose" what other indicators are there that it's a 577-R and not a 70? The "hose" that is shown in the picture isn't a hose it's an electric cable. Look at the nozzle.... I converted it to a fully functioning Electric Vehicle Charge Station, so now it refuels vehicles again. The original hose connection was 3/4" NPT and not 1", so it doesn't seem it was a high flow pump. The pump also had a computing veeder root, but that could have been swapped out in it's lifetime from a non computing computer. I'll post some more photos tomorrow, showing more detail but I don't know if it will help identify it.

B
OP Offline
B
Here is another picture showing how far above the face the sight glass is. I have been unable to find any pictures anywhere of a 577-R with an internal sight glass that was towards the top of the pump. I've found many with either an external sight glass or an internal sight glass mounted just above the face. This pump was likely originally purchased fro commercial use, truck, bus, taxi, etc. I can't find any _official_ literature showing a Wayne 70 high mounted sight glass without any ad glass. I also cannot find any official literature of a 577-R with an internal, high mounted sight glass. So based on the literature I can find, I can't confirm it's either one.

Sight Glass 1.jpg Sight Glass 2.jpg
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I believe it is a 577-R because it matches the original Wayne literature I have. If you look on page 330 of my Gas Pump Identification book you will see (except for the location of the sight glass) it matches the 577 shown on that page.

I might also add, that the Blue Book shows two versions of the 577 (577-R, 577-RC), it could be wither of these, I don't know what the RC looks like.

Jack Sim
Author, 1st & 2nd Editions, Gas Pump Identification books
Author, 1st & 2nd Editions, Air Meter Identification books
And, 3rd Edition of the Gas Pump book to be available shortly

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Oct 19 2017 08:52 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Jack for the help. I only have your e-book because the physical copies are sold out. I certainly don't want to say that you are wrong because you are more of an expert than I. However I would like corroboration. I believe whether the sight glass is at the top or bottom is significant.
For example, if this pump were a version of the 70, then the only difference would be a cutout in the door for ad glass. If this were a version of the 577-R, then in order for Wayne to move the sight glass to the top, they would have had to change:
The sight glass cutout in the door
The Manifold mounting brackets
The light manifold
The cutout in the side for a higher hose exit hole.

So technologically and parts wise, this pump is closer to a 70 than a 577-R.

What would be nice to find is original literature identifying and showing a wayne pump with no ad glass and a high mounted sight glass. OR someone who has this pump with an attached original nameplate.

Maybe this research will help your book, but either way I'll be buying a copy.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Please post pictures of the original faces that were on the pump.

Jack

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is the coolest charging station I’ve ever seen, makes me want an electric car. Chris

B
OP Offline
B
Here is a picture of the original Veeder root faceplates. I have started restoring the original Veeder root and have completed the lower half. The upper half I've only thoroughly cleaned, removing the mouse nests and dead mice. My plan is to mount the computer in the location of the original motor. That way the original computer stays with the pump.
I should mention that in my conversion to a charge station, I haven't cut or drilled ANY new holes in this original pump. I've added new bracketry and utilized original mounting holes for any added components. I wanted it to be a EV charge station but could not stomach damaging an original pump. WHen it's no longer needed for EV charging it can be returned to a restored gas pump with only hand tools.

original faceplates 20171021_113042.jpg
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Spending too much time doing research. Did more research, your pump is a 70. None of my literature shows the pump without ad glass panels. No way to determine why the pump was made without panels, this was usually only done with commercial pumps. I have also located a couple of pictures of your pump, possibly one is your pump, it is all rusted and is shown in front of a fence. The other picture shows a restored pump.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Oct 21 2017 08:27 PM.

B
OP Offline
B
Here is a picture (the top was removed prior to taking the pic) of what mine looked like before restoration. From what I can find online, the Wayne 70's with high mounted sight glasses are much less common than those with the low mounted sight glass. Of the high mounted sight glass pumps, most have an ad glass between the sight glass and face, so my pump is a fairly uncommon version. I'm confident that my pump was manufactured with no ad glass because I media blasted the doors myself. There was no evidence that there was ever a hole where the ad glass would have been.
I agree that pumps without ad glass were often purchased for commercial applications. From my research I did learn that some brands did not use ad glass, so maybe an independent station owner ordered the pump without the ad glass knowing that his brand didn't use ad glass. I've seen pictures of brands that didn't use ad glass and simply had the ad glass painted over.
Lastly, There is a member here who has a 70 with the low mounted sight glass with NO ad glass and an original nameplate that says "70".

pump front resized.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved