Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hello first post I think. I might get some criticism for not restoring or doing it properly, but I want to make the standard oil lexan pole sign I have into a wall mount lighted half. I have both halves and the torch flame, no frame.

It is lexan, and I am just trying to get some ideas on how to make a frame and backer for one half. The flame is glued or something to make it one piece and I don't dare separate it in fear of damage, but I think I can make the whole flame work with some though to my frame design. Has anyone ever made a frame for something like this?

I was thinking of a plywood backer with a metal 4" band around the perimeter, and somehow mounting the sign half to the band but I don't know how to go about doing that.

I will be using LED strip lights in a track with frosted lens to diffuse light evenly. I will mount it in the peak of the gable end of my dads shop for a Father's Day gift. My grandpa owned a standard station in small town minnesota so it has some meaning to the family.

Any help or input would be much appreciated.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
OP Offline
S
One half is pretty rough paint wise, and the other I'm happy with using. A previous owner made plexi cutouts of red and riveted to the sign instead of painting the inside like original. I'm not sure if I'll leave it as is or use the plexi. The lit pic I have is with plexi.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Cut plywood to inside dimension of the side wall of the sign minus thickness of band. Make the band tuck inside the perimeter of the sign. Drill 4 or 6 holes in perimeter edge (side wall) of sign and screw to band.

Flame already looks broke so not to big a deal to separate I guess. A band saw would work great. A big band saw : )

Also, cut hole in side wall to add a switch. Cut large hole in plywood that will fit over electrical outlet. Plug sign into outlet and hang plywood over outlet and screw to wall. Then assemble sign over band and screw in place. Then no exposed chord. Will look clean and simple flick to turn on.

Last edited by Steven C.; Wed Oct 11 2017 07:08 PM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would like to see this project when it is completed. Please keep us updated. That half of sign looks pretty good.

S
OP Offline
S
Awesome! I was thinking something like that too but didn't want to drill holes in fear of breaking it. I'll do some you tubing to get some info on drilling lexan.

Thanks guys! I'll keep posting updates but not too sure when it will happen...

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved