Print Thread
#696102 Fri Oct 06 2017 02:41 AM
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Write a book and you will get at least three of these per week:

Jack, good morning, I have a collection of pre-visible pumps, and I am at a point I have to sell them off, I know sad day, I get to keep 4 or 5 of my 22 pumps, yea for me.
Anyway, I have your spotters guide but can not find info on a Phillips pump that I have, it still has the brass tag and model is a 72, I think its the best I can read from the tag.
I also have a Bowser Sentry (241) ? I do believe with a curved slide around door vs the clam shell type door.
Can you help me with info and or values on these pumps?.

This was my response:

I get two or three of this type of requests per week, some people think that just because they purchased one of my books I should spend some of the time I have left in my life (I am 82 years old) helping them value something so they can make money from my vast knowledge of gas pumps. It seems that no one offers me the opportunity to purchase any of the pumps. Recently I did supply a person with a great deal of info on a pump that he had, even stating that I was interested in buying the pump he had, not hearing from him, I sent an email asking if I could buy the pump, he told me he had sold it for $350, I emailed him back I would have given him $1000 for the pump.

Why all this, I am just tired of helping others make money using my knowledge while my wife and I live on Social Security and my Korean war disability payments..

My time is valuable, just like your pumps, so if you wish to send me five pictures of each of the pumps, and $35.00 per pump for a valuation I will do my best to help you sell your pumps to someone else.

As I type this I feel guilty, should I continue giving away my knowledge while someone benefits from it, should I just not answer the email, or is there a really good answer to all this?

I have written four valuation books (2 air meter books and 2 gas pump books) thinking that I would not have to answer this type of question, but they continue.

Jack Sim

[i][/i]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jack Sim #696106 Fri Oct 06 2017 05:38 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jack, you have every right to expect payment for your knowledge and time and in no way should you fell guilty. Your story is an excellent example of people asking someone to take their time to make their own life easier. It would have been to much trouble to sell you the pump but not to much trouble to ask what it might be valued at. I sell an occasional pump part and can't tell you how many times I've been asked for a picture and a price never to hear from the person again. Not even a thank you but I'm not interested. I'm sure there will be several other people on this site that will echo the same thing. Life is short and you spent a lot of time and money collecting the knowledge you have. It's priceless information you should feel free to sell!

I apologize for adding my gripe to yours.

Jack Sim #696107 Fri Oct 06 2017 05:41 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
That's the downside of putting your self out there as someone with "vast knowledge of gas pumps".

Make up a basic form letter response, stating appraisals are $35 each and photos are required.

Jack Sim #696108 Fri Oct 06 2017 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You spend as much time emailing that type of response to them as it would take to answer their question ... plus the added time of posting your displeasure about it on here from time to time.

Call me crazy ... how about ignoring them if you don't want to deal with it? There's no rule book that says every email sent has to be answered.

Jack Sim #696111 Fri Oct 06 2017 07:03 AM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
smile I would say every coin has 2 sides. Jack can feel honored a person values his opinion enough to ask for his evaluation of a collection he has worked years to acquire. But at least be reasonable on what you can expect. If he is a good friend, and is asking as a friend, that is one thing. If he is asking Jack because he is a known expert in the field, try asking your Doctor, Lawyer, or Accountant for free information and see how far you get! I would also agree it would have been quicker and less trouble to have simply responded with a show of interest to buy or not on Jack's part. And offer Evaluations of Estates on an $$$ Hourly basis. wink JMO. ED.

Jack Sim #696120 Fri Oct 06 2017 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
On a similar note,I had a "friend" ask me details about a car I know very well.
Talked to him for about an hour on the phone asking me details.I thought it was unusual of him,but he told me he was looking at buying the car...So I gave him the skinny on what I knew about it's history,how to tell a real from a fake & what to look for on real parts vs. reproduction.

Fast forward about 6 mos.later,I'm at a local MECUM car auction,and there is the very same car that guy was asking me about that day,getting ready to go up on the auction block..As I approached the car,there in the trunk was all of it's displayed paperwork.One of the pieces of paper was an appraisal written & signed by that very "friend" of mine who called me that day who had listed almost verbatim all the details I had told him over the phone.That "friend" didn't know squat about that car,until I told him all that.
I asked the owner of the car,where he got that appraisal from?
He told me he paid that "friend" of mine $500 for it,and based on the knowledge he supplied him,he felt it was worth it.

Now it all made sense. frown

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #696125 Fri Oct 06 2017 10:54 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By Cold Pizza
On a similar note,I had a "friend" ask me details about a car I know very well.
Talked to him for about an hour on the phone asking me details.I thought it was unusual of him,but he told me he was looking at buying the car...So I gave him the skinny on what I knew about it's history,how to tell a real from a fake & what to look for on real parts vs. reproduction.

Fast forward about 6 mos.later,I'm at a local MECUM car auction,and there is the very same car that guy was asking me about that day,getting ready to go up on the auction block..As I approached the car,there in the trunk was all of it's displayed paperwork.One of the pieces of paper was an appraisal written & signed by that very "friend" of mine who called me that day who had listed almost verbatim all the details I had told him over the phone.That "friend" didn't know squat about that car,until I told him all that.
I asked the owner of the car,where he got that appraisal from?
He told me he paid that "friend" of mine $500 for it,and based on the knowledge he supplied him,he felt it was worth it.

Now it all made sense. frown

I'd have a very hard time call him a friend.

Randy
Jack Sim #696129 Fri Oct 06 2017 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
BUILD A WEBSITE AND YOU WILL GET INQUIRIES FIVE OR MORE TIMES A WEEK.
We don't even want any money. We ask them to donate $10 to the local animal shelter.

Read our web page:

Antique Gas Pump Values and Questions 
VALUES - APPRAISALS - PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
INFORMATION QUESTIONS

First of all...
If you want to sell something, just contact us. 

If you would just like a gas pump, appraised or identified, 
we now ask for a small $10 donation,
to the Animal Shelter in Oshkosh, WI​​ for each appraisal.

​All donations are used to support the no kill Oshkosh Area Humane Society animal shelter. 
 We do not offer values on signs.

If you need information you can use your credit card or Pay Pal payment to the Animal Shelter.... 
You can make the payment directly to the Oshkosh Area Humane Society. See link below.

Oshkosh Area Humane Society
A no kill life saving shelter

OAHS has received over $3000 in donations in the past two years
from our Petroliana friends. 

To the "Old Gas Pump Guys" team:
Every dollar the animals receive from your Petroliana friends, thanks to you,
makes a HUGE difference. 
​Their donations pay for critical care for all of the animals and supplies for the shelter.
$20 feeds all of our cats for the entire day. 
Add up all those gifts that we received because of you. 
That is a mighty generous way to run your business.  We are honored to know you.
​Oshkosh Area Humane Society 
Thanks to all of you who care.

After you make your donation they will email you back with  a receipt.
​You can then forward your receipt for the donation to us with pictures of the pump.
​Be sure to fill in the acknowledgement line on the donation form with "Old Gas Pump Guys"
Donation Link:
Click Here to Donate
​​

Check out the shelter Web Site!
Great people, doing GREAT work.
Oahs.org

​If you are asking about the identification of a gas pump,
we will need pictures of all four sides if possible.
NOT close ups. We need to see the entire pump.
If you are looking for values, we will give you what we feel are the current retail market prices.
This is not an official Insurance Appraisal.

It is NOT our intention to offend anyone.
When we set up this web site,
it was to share our finds and knowledge with others in the Petroliana hobby.
Since then, television shows and the Internet have created a much wider and more diverse group of
people looking for information and wanting to collect and display Petroliana.
Our web site has grown from a few visits a day, to an average of over 100 - 200 a day
from all over the world.
With those visits come questions on identification of gas pumps,
globes, parts and related information.
In the past we have been happy to share what information we have.

However we are no longer able to return answers to the huge number of emails we receive
​each day, without spending extended time on our computer or phone when we should
be working on customers restorations and our acquisitions.

If you have questions on this policy, please feel free to email us. See our contact us page.
     Thank you 
Content copyright 2017. oldgaspumpguys.com. All rights reserved.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Old Racer #696210 Sat Oct 07 2017 01:13 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By Old Racer
BUILD A WEBSITE AND YOU WILL GET INQUIRIES FIVE OR MORE TIMES A WEEK.
We don't even want any money. We ask them to donate $10 to the local animal shelter.

Read our web page:

Antique Gas Pump Values and Questions 
VALUES - APPRAISALS - PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION
INFORMATION QUESTIONS

First of all...
If you want to sell something, just contact us. 

If you would just like a gas pump, appraised or identified, 
we now ask for a small $10 donation,
to the Animal Shelter in Oshkosh, WI​​ for each appraisal.

​All donations are used to support the no kill Oshkosh Area Humane Society animal shelter. 
 We do not offer values on signs.

If you need information you can use your credit card or Pay Pal payment to the Animal Shelter.... 
You can make the payment directly to the Oshkosh Area Humane Society. See link below.

Oshkosh Area Humane Society
A no kill life saving shelter

OAHS has received over $3000 in donations in the past two years
from our Petroliana friends. 

To the "Old Gas Pump Guys" team:
Every dollar the animals receive from your Petroliana friends, thanks to you,
makes a HUGE difference. 
​Their donations pay for critical care for all of the animals and supplies for the shelter.
$20 feeds all of our cats for the entire day. 
Add up all those gifts that we received because of you. 
That is a mighty generous way to run your business.  We are honored to know you.
​Oshkosh Area Humane Society 
Thanks to all of you who care.

After you make your donation they will email you back with  a receipt.
​You can then forward your receipt for the donation to us with pictures of the pump.
​Be sure to fill in the acknowledgement line on the donation form with "Old Gas Pump Guys"
Donation Link:
Click Here to Donate
​​

Check out the shelter Web Site!
Great people, doing GREAT work.
Oahs.org

​If you are asking about the identification of a gas pump,
we will need pictures of all four sides if possible.
NOT close ups. We need to see the entire pump.
If you are looking for values, we will give you what we feel are the current retail market prices.
This is not an official Insurance Appraisal.

It is NOT our intention to offend anyone.
When we set up this web site,
it was to share our finds and knowledge with others in the Petroliana hobby.
Since then, television shows and the Internet have created a much wider and more diverse group of
people looking for information and wanting to collect and display Petroliana.
Our web site has grown from a few visits a day, to an average of over 100 - 200 a day
from all over the world.
With those visits come questions on identification of gas pumps,
globes, parts and related information.
In the past we have been happy to share what information we have.

However we are no longer able to return answers to the huge number of emails we receive
​each day, without spending extended time on our computer or phone when we should
be working on customers restorations and our acquisitions.

If you have questions on this policy, please feel free to email us. See our contact us page.
     Thank you 
Content copyright 2017. oldgaspumpguys.com. All rights reserved.

John, I do like this. I have asked for donations to local causes but never required a receipt before I offered help. I always assume that people are honest and will abide, but we all know the reality. Would you mind if I used your idea? Something like this might be a big help to me? Thanks, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Old Racer #696211 Sat Oct 07 2017 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
xlnt idea & too a worthy cause .. ... cool

RANDY
Jack Sim #696212 Sat Oct 07 2017 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Paul be my guest. Hope it helps you and a charity.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Jack Sim #696218 Sat Oct 07 2017 03:07 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
John, Thank you. I will reword the message so as not to step on your very good logic. Best regards, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved