Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#695343 Sun Sep 24 2017 12:17 PM
F
fatty Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Where do you guys get repro gas pump ID tags stamped/engraved? I took one for a Tokheim 39 to a local jewelry store but the engraving looks far too fancy for lack of a better word. I would like to find a place to just make it look close to how it was originally.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
GO TO HARBOR FREIGHT AND BUY A NUMBER AND LETTER PUNCH SET.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Let me add something to what gaspumpfrank said. After you purchase the set from HF, take the old ID tag and practice on it. Don't practice on the new tag.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
F
fatty Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I will do exactly that then. I have a HF just down the street

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I have used a trophy shop to engrave ID and data plates. They usually have a wide variety of type fonts (faces) and sizes available. Also, very reasonable, and a "factory look" end product. John

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Originally Posted By Jolly-John
I have used a trophy shop to engrave ID and data plates. They usually have a wide variety of type fonts (faces) and sizes available. Also, very reasonable, and a "factory look" end product. John

I too have my ID plates done by a commercial name plate and sign engraver.

Randy
F
fatty Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the tips guys! I will see if there is a trophy shop around here and talk to them.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I put a new Id tag one every completely restored ECO I sell. Initially I tried to stamp my own, but as I explained above, it took practice. Use an old tag, start stamping, observe how apart the stamps should be, also observe how to keep the letters/numbers on the same level. This is not rocket science, it doesn't matter where you practice on the old one, it won't take you long to find out you can replicate the original.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Like mentioned harbor freight sells a cheap set of stamps that work fine. Trick for me is to mount the plate on wood and then mount a wood strip over the face plate to act as a straight edge. I found my free hand stamping sucked...

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If anyone would like to have about 8-10 new ID tags that I screwed up trying to learn how to make them look nice, I will give them to you.
Yes, I started with a set of stamps from HF, after the above 8 ID tags I learned where to hold the stamp to keep it on the same line and how to make sure they were about the same distance apart.
Don't do what I did, practice on the old one, not the new one.

Jack Sim

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved