Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#695756 Sat Sep 30 2017 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
On my way back from Alaska this summer, I took the time to stop by Vic's 66, as it was in the first town I came to after crossing the border back into the USA. It happened to be on a sunday and the probability of it being open was very slim indeed! When I arrived at the location, it was closed but I felt I had to snap a few pictures for memories sake. I tried the front door just to make sure and even had the Warden snap a picture of me by the big sign in the parking lot!
I was about to proceed on my way, when I noticed a very large camper parked out behind the building! Remembering that Don had relocated not too long ago, I thought there might be a chance he was in that camper? The Warden and I drove around the corner, and sure enough, the gate was open! Well, there surely had to be someone around if the gate was open, so I marched right over there and knocked on the door---from inside a burley voice announced "just a minute" and I waited until someone answered the door. Don stuck his head out and politely asked who I was and what I wanted! I simply said my name and a big smile came over his face and a big right hand came out to shake mine. Having done a lot of business with Don, but having never met him, I had to ask who this smiling stranger shaking my hand was? I immediately recognized his voice when he replied "Don Beaver", and I got a big old "Bear Hug" from him!
We spent the next hour talking about old gas & oil, and looking over his newly acquired property. It may have been a sunday, but Don was happy and eager to have someone from the Midwest, stop by and say HI! It was a fun stop on a long journey for the Warden & I, but I'm glad we took the time to stop and put a face on the name!

Vics 1.jpg
What the heck! The place is closed!

Vics 2.jpg
Let me in, I came too far!

Vics 3.jpg
Picture to prove I was there!

Vics 4.jpg
The "Big Guy" himself, by the parts counter!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #695760 Sat Sep 30 2017 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good story, would like to meet Don and check out his cool store. Lucky guy.

Have gas all the time
Done4 #695762 Sat Sep 30 2017 02:43 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Les, if you ever get out this way PLEASE stop by and say hello.

K W FRITH #695763 Sat Sep 30 2017 02:45 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Kevin, it was a treat to have you and the warden come by for a surprise visit! We are here 7 days a week getting thing put away and arranged. 10,000 square foot of 70 year old building takes a LOT of time and work and we still have a long way to go to get it where we want it. We found it easier for the time being to rent out our home 85 miles South of here and bring our 40 foot fifth wheel and stay right here while we work. I REALLY enjoyed the conversation and laughs, you two are welcome any time please come by again on your next trip out this way and next time I come through Devils Lake N.D. you will be getting a visit as well. Thanks again Don

K W FRITH #695764 Sat Sep 30 2017 02:50 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Kevin, I forgot to mention that after you left my wife mentioned that I had not asked you and the Warden to stay for the night as we have RV hook ups here on sight. Considering it was later in the day I should have thought about it myself. Guess I was enjoying our visit so much that it never even crossed my mind.

Last edited by Don Beaver; Sat Sep 30 2017 05:06 PM.
K W FRITH #695865 Sun Oct 01 2017 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool! Looks like a place to visit!

Braden Splichal

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved