Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Craig Osbeck #694207 Sun Sep 10 2017 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hard question to answer! Braden would have bought my farm fresh 36 B if zip had not gut it in on the farm in Nebraska! Well my trailer was full and already heavy so guess what we gutted that heavyweight on the spot! Now I still have it.
Rob

BTW those are heavy even without guts lol !!!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Craig Osbeck #694208 Sun Sep 10 2017 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It sounds you are going to sell it, so I would leave it up to the buyer. The buyer may not want them and at that point you could offer to remove the guts for them. For me it is a better deal to buy a pump without them. It has not stopped me from buying a pump with guts. There was one I was not going to buy because it had guts, the guy lowered the price so I took it.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Craig Osbeck #694218 Mon Sep 11 2017 04:29 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
36b tops are expensive.... I think the last one I sold brought $650-$700. But u may get lucky & find a deal. I personally would gut it. Chris

Craig Osbeck #694222 Mon Sep 11 2017 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I'd leave them in...and I'm pretty sure there already has been a poll on this topic...those with a large collection of gutted pumps have a vested interest in perpetuating the narrative that a hollowed-out cabinet is somehow more desirable than a complete gas pump...

...also, it's considerably easier to make a living 'restoring' gas pumps by scrapping the motor, etc...needless to say, it would be easier to restore old cars and vending machines as well, using this method...some will say 'that's different - I'm going to drive the car, but I'm not going to pump gas; and what's a car without an engine?'...well, what's a gas pump, without the pump?...I'm sure collectors with 50+ Coke machines don't have them all full of product, running 24/7 - yet I don't know anyone who guts their drink machines, to make them lighter...ditto for those who collect vintage radios...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #694236 Mon Sep 11 2017 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By gulfiend!
...I'd leave them in...and I'm pretty sure there already has been a poll on this topic...those with a large collection of gutted pumps have a vested interest in perpetuating the narrative that a hollowed-out cabinet is somehow more desirable than a complete gas pump...

...also, it's considerably easier to make a living 'restoring' gas pumps by scrapping the motor, etc...needless to say, it would be easier to restore old cars and vending machines as well, using this method...some will say 'that's different - I'm going to drive the car, but I'm not going to pump gas; and what's a car without an engine?'...well, what's a gas pump, without the pump?...I'm sure collectors with 50+ Coke machines don't have them all full of product, running 24/7 - yet I don't know anyone who guts their drink machines, to make them lighter...ditto for those who collect vintage radios...

Don't drink the Kool-Aid folks! ~ guts ain't never gonna make a pump more valuable, just ain't gonna happen!

KJV Psalms 16:11

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.
Craig Osbeck #694243 Mon Sep 11 2017 10:47 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Randy
Craig Osbeck #694245 Mon Sep 11 2017 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm on the fence as far as gutting or keeping intact. As of late my thinking has been that 50's (short) and newer pumps are getting gutted. The older 20s-40s (tall) pumps are staying intact. I currently have an Erie 80 a Bennett 371 and 1 50's Gilbarco with guts due to very nice original condition. My Smithway L-1 and my Wayne 511 are gutted and restored.

I'm not a huge pump collector I only have 5 right now down from 6. I sold one to a neighbor because he's wanted one forever.

Got Socony???

Tom
nochevys #694253 Mon Sep 11 2017 12:47 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I've changed my mind somewhat over the years. Used to be I gutted everything and I certainly am not opposed to that. But lately, I've been leaving pumps in the rarer stuff I get just because I've become a bit more of a purist. That being said, in 25 years of slinging pumps I've NEVER had a sale affected by whether or not the pump was gutted.
My 2 cents.

RandyM #694268 Mon Sep 11 2017 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By RandyM
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

...well, I'm a collector, too, and an historian...IMO, the preservation of history - with a focus on historical accuracy - takes precedent over 'pretty'...that goes double for whimsical paint schemes...our hobby would do better in the long term to attract more historians; we've an overabundance of 'investors' as it is, and they're considerably more fickle than history buffs...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Craig Osbeck #694279 Mon Sep 11 2017 06:43 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
Guts in a pump don't make it more valuable . I disagree here is one guy that would pay more money for a pump with all the internal parts , and depending on the pump it could be a lot more . Peter

Craig Osbeck #694283 Mon Sep 11 2017 07:29 PM
C
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
C
I certainly see all the different reasons for leaving in or taking out. I believe though that after seeing the thoughts that if I do decide to sell this I can take them out for whomever or leave them in and they can pay the extra shipping price. It will then become their question.
10 years ago we would probably not be having this conversation as much.
Thanks

Craig
Craig Osbeck #694602 Sat Sep 16 2017 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Still have never had anyone request internal pump kept or restored.,. Lots of upsides to gutting...easier resto, less smelly, reduced fire hazard, less likely damaged in shipping, etc.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Craig Osbeck #694612 Sat Sep 16 2017 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
So it's a matter of convenience for you?

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Cold Pizza #694614 Sat Sep 16 2017 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
It's convinient, yes, because moving around heavy gas pumps that are restored is not fun. But it's more than that too, not many people are willing to pay the cost to restore internals and I'm not a huge fan of having gassy items in people's businesses or homes, same for old wiring for that matter. Don't want to burn somebodies house down because I don't no where these restored pumps may go. (And there combustible sometimes).

Last edited by Paul Bell; Sat Sep 16 2017 09:39 AM.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved