Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#693492 Wed Aug 30 2017 09:01 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hey guys,

Just wanted to show off a sign recently found buried on an old farm here in the northeast. This is the second one found, although the first read "colonial beacon oil company" instead of just "beacon oil company". So I'm assuming this one would be pre merger?

Anyways it's double sided porcelain, about 50" long, and the hit is from a post hole digger that struck it. I am keeping this for my personal collection, since it seems to be rather rare. I am curious as to its value, but I can make a thread in that forum if needed. Just wanted to share with you guys, let me know what you think

And again, not interested in selling, so save your pm's smile

IMG_5143.JPG IMG_5144.JPG
Last edited by thebmwjunkie; Wed Aug 30 2017 09:16 PM.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool find, how deep was it buried?

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool!!

Braden Splichal

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well preserved .. ... cool

RANDY
T
OP Offline
T
Well the woman who found it on her land (old oil lease property in NY) hit it with a post hole digger (hence the one bigger ding), so I am thinking within a few feet of the surface. She has found 3 so far by chance, but she isn't really interested in going hunting like we would be.

They clearly have been buried for decades, with how the dirt is packed on the top edge, if you try to remove it the porcelain and underlying steel may come right off with it

Anyways, do you guys have any idea of the year on this sign? I know Beacon merged with Colonial in like 1928, but would they have produced Beacon signs after that date as well?

And one last question, any idea why it only has the 2 mounting holes on the bottom edge? I'm assuming it would have to go in some type of frame or stand?

Last edited by thebmwjunkie; Fri Sep 01 2017 11:21 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
Here is a photo of the first one I got from her, which I sold and kind of regret. But luckily I scored the one above so it all worked out.

IMG_5150.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By thebmwjunkie
Here is a photo of the first one I got from her, which I sold and kind of regret. But luckily I scored the one above so it all worked out.

IMO you have the better of the 2 .. ... cool

RANDY
T
OP Offline
T
Yeah this one cleaned up well, and the chip isn't as distracting. Anybody have any idea what era this sign is from? The only examples I can find are the 3 she's dug up

Thanks for the comments guys, glad to have this one in my otherwise low level collection

Last edited by thebmwjunkie; Fri Sep 01 2017 04:01 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved