Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
I am doing my first restoration of a Wayne 70 (1947-1960). It does not have any ad glass. I have found many original pictures of the Wayne 70-C and the Wayne "extend a hose" models but very few of the 70 and none without ad glass. I'm looking for brands that might have used this pump model without ad glass. I'm considering using the paint scheme for Mobilgas Special from 1946-1962. Alternatively I could cut holes in the doors for ad glass if I knew what company used this particular pump.

wayne 70.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is a nice pump, do a rusto rebab on it and then look for one with ad glass. Then you have two. Cool pump great condition

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If it were me , I would find what oil companies had a preference for the Wayne 70. I know many out there besides Texaco, Mobil and Phillips .Come on , use yer imagination , look out there for the OFF the wall companies and go from there ....

see ya on the road folks !
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The ones with out ad glass are not very common. There is three versions. Yours is one version with the sight glass up high (like a two ad glass model), the second has the sight glass down lower (like a four ad glass model)and the third does not have a sight glass. It has a visi-gauge that is the same as a Wayne 40A.

I think it would look good with a Crown globe done up in Standard. A lot on Standard pumps with Crown globes did not have ad glass.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it would look good done in the time period of this old picture. The lower color would be red or blue depending on grade of gas and the stripe is gold, but not sure if it is gold on both colors. Also found this Wayne 70 on line to give you an idea of what it would look like.

B
OP Offline
B
Matt, and eshaver, this is the type of help that I'm looking for. I had previously done as you suggested eshaver, and tried to find out which companies had preference for the Wayne 70's, but I can't find any resources for that info. The only info that I can find is a few B&W photos of original pumps in use. I was hoping some folks on this forum could point me to where to find out which companies used the Wayne 70.
I have a copy of PCM's guide to gas pump restoration, and An illustrated Guide to Gas pumps, for reference. These books don't help with figuring out who used what pumps though, at least not the Wayne pumps.
Matt, your color photo of a restored standard white crown, never existed (or was supposed to exist) with that color scheme. The white crown pump was supposed to be all red. A Gold crown would have a blue bottom, but it would have a white top.
I am trying to restore it period correct, whichever company I end up with. More than half of the restored pumps I find online seem to be painted colors that predates the pumps age, and I don't want to do that.
Matt might be on to something though, Standard rarely used ad glass, so maybe they used this style Wayne....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most oil companies used many brands of gas pumps. The oil company that comes to mind for using mostly Wayne is Atlantic.

I recently sold a no add glass Wayne 70. It was a Cities Service branded pump. You can find a picture of it if you go to my website and look at sold items. Website is
jrsironworks.com

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Pumps with ad glass panels cost more than one's without the panels, so if you were looking to buy a pump as cheap as you can, this is one you might buy. Usually this type of pump was a non-computer pump (meaning it computed the amount of gallons pumped but not the price). My 2nd book shows a similar Wayne (the 577-R) but the sight glass is just above the face. (The caption on this picture is incorrect and I have changed it.)
Back to your pump, it is possible it was originally a non-computer pump, (non-computer pumps were used in taxi garages, truck garages, etc.) it was used for a number of years and then traded in on a new pump. The person who purchased it, rebuilt it and changed the computer to make it a computer pump. The rebuilding of pumps was a very common thing. Then your pump was sold to a station who again wanted to save money.

Please look for the ID tag and please post both the model and the serial numbers here. This would help me to identify it.

One last thing, I do not show your pump in my book, can I use it in the third book that will be out soon?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a no ad glass 70 on ebay. It also has a computer in it.

This one was on craigs list several years ago. It is a high volume pump. Notice the four digit early Veeder-Root computer and the one inch outlet on the visi-gauge. This type of high volume pump would have been used at a truck stop were a larger amount of fuel was needed in a single fill up.

B
OP Offline
B
The ID tad was gone when I purchased the pump.
You can use the picture if you want but note that in this picture it is missing the top. The paint scheme looks to be non standard.
I've already media blasted it and it's going out for paint on Monday. I've decided on going with a Mabilgas special paint scheme with red sides and top with white doors. There were many other companies with paint schemes that I liked better that fit the make and year of this pump but I could not find reproduction globes or decals for them.
I was originally considering cutting a hole in the door and adding an add glass. I've decided to leave it original (with new paint) because it showcases that not all of the Wayne 70's had add glass.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved