Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#691261 Thu Jul 27 2017 10:20 AM
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Maybe some of you guys and gals know about this stuff but I thought it was worth sharing. Actually found this thread on the HAMB about cleaning old chrome by a biker and I figured why not. I'm in the middle of a rust-o pump and the goal is to used everything that was on the pump as found.

The first pic is what they looked like when starting. Its pretty easy, about a half a gallon of water and add a half cup of oxalic acid, put the chrome pieces in a container and walk away for 2 to 3 days and when done brings back the shine, cleans out the pits and then spray some clear lacquer on them and your done.

Far from prefect but great for what I'm doing. You can get the stuff at big boxes but be prepared when you ask an "associate" where it is. You get that look of a deer in the headlight look. It should be by the paint section if they have it because it is used to clean old wood and not raise the grain.

IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0708.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0719.JPG
Last edited by Done4; Thu Jul 27 2017 10:22 AM. Reason: forgot one point

Have gas all the time
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good info Les. I would guess that the Oxalic acid would remove rust and oxidation from about any metal. Might work good on porcelain to clean the rust stains? Thanks for posting....GB

Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
GB, I did place an old bolt in the pot and the acid had no affect on it. I also forgot to mention that it is biodegradable, it will clean the drain pipes, bonus.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Must not be strong enough to attack the heavy rust. Wonder if thats the main ingredient in that Evapo-rust that Harbor Freight sells? It's biodegradeablet too but takes forever to dissolve heavier rust. But it does eventually do it....

Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Have you tried Evapo-rust on chrome?

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In the 1970's , I used to sell this out of my Van accessory manufacturing company retail office under the name of "Ospho" . Now you can use this on sheet metal too. The problem is if you need to use Plastic filler on it , you have to clean as much as you can and THEN apply the acid OVER the filler . If you apply the acid BEFORE, the Plastic WILL NOT stick !

see ya on the road folks !
K
K
I used to use this years ago to clean beer cans for my collection. It won't work on the heavier stuff (well, maybe with enough time), but it will clean them up. I never had any issues with the paint, but I was warned to try an inconspicuous spot to make sure. After I was done I would clean it off with a solution to neutralize the oxalic acid, then rinse and dry. I can't remember what the solution to neutralize it was, but it was a common kitchen item.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By KS 82 GT
After I was done I would clean it off with a solution to neutralize the oxalic acid, then rinse and dry. I can't remember what the solution to neutralize it was, but it was a common kitchen item.

...baking soda, maybe?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never tried the evaporust on chrome Les...

G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
NEVER use it on Porcelain, A beer can collector told me about it also and it works amazingly well on light rust on PAINTED tin but he warned me about porcelain, so i took an old junk sign and immersed half of it overnight in some and it faded about half the color out, just a word of advice.

Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Gasgeezer, I was told the same thing that it eats the color. I did try an old painted sign and it faded the colors and left the rust on it. I probably didn't mix it correctly?

Have gas all the time
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good buffer will work just as well, no chemical.

Craig
Done4 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Not so much, tried that the pits collect the abrasive. But you known better.

Have gas all the time
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Use lacquer thinner to remove any abrasive in tips by dipping and wiping.

Craig

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved