Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Books | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#690183 - Sun Jul 09 2017 08:34 PM Pyroil Gasoline
Bob Richards Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Longview, WA
Anyone have a history on Pyroil Gasoline? I, like a lot of Collectors, have Pyroil Gasoline and Oil Additive tins in my collection... But, nothing relating to Pyroil Gasoline... I ran across a photo on the Online Magazine; "The Old Motor" website... Dated 1932... That shows a Pyroil Gas Station...

I've read what is on the 2012 Gas Pump Globes CD; but the images of the Pyroil Station does not look to me as if it is selling anything but Pyroil Gasoline.... I may be way offbase (I am more than I like to admit) with my assumption. But, it looks as if Pyroil was selling more than an additive to other Brand Gasolines....

I do not have permission to "recreate" the image; so follow this link and you will see the Page and images... http://theoldmotor.com/?p=96215

My biggest surprise is that the Pyroil Station in the photo was in Pasadena, CA... I expected such a Station to be in Wisconsin. Where the Pyroil Company was Headquartered....

I am wondering how long Pyroil sold Gasoline and where? Any help will be greatly appreciated... I would like to add another piece of information to my Petro knowledge, if possible...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#690199 - Sun Jul 09 2017 09:54 PM Re: Pyroil Gasoline [Re: Bob Richards]
eshaver Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: richmond , Virginia
Bob , I wish I could help you . David Greenee's publisher of the Old Motor is in a group I own on FB and he is very elusive as to answering questions concerning what shows in his magazine

#690201 - Sun Jul 09 2017 11:48 PM Re: Pyroil Gasoline [Re: Bob Richards]
Carolinatraveler Offline
Petro Enthusiast

Loc: Kernersville, NC
Pyroil Gasoline was a franchise operation that offered Pyroil blended gasoline to franchised dealers across the country, not unlike Ethyl, Eythlene, various Benzol blend brands, etc. The 2016 globe CD actually established an entire section of these franchised products that were not otherwise associated with a major oil company (Pyroil was still with Ashland though in that book). I've seen the photo you mentioned, and it was one of several that was used to promote the franchise. There is no mention of any other brand in the photo. I guess it could have been a Pyroil only station, but would still have been part of the franchise arrangement. Numerous ads exist from old industry publications to confirm this.

Moderator:  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun, Watchdog9 

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2017 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved