Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi all,

I tried to look for any old posts about pipe frame preference with no luck. I saw DB mentioned using either in one in a previous thread.

I was just wondering what is better to use Black Gas Line or Galvanized Conduit. I've never replaced those pipes before and didn't know if there are pros and cons (i.e. thickness / strength, does black pipe rust when outside, does galvanize corrode - because 2 different metal types, etc)?

Structurally, they are both fine I'm sure, and I know paint will stick to both, just wondering if anyone had a preference for any specific reason.

And does anyone know if the threads on gas and conduit are the same? I can check when I get to the store, just wondering if someone knew off hand.

I need it for a Wayne 615. I did see in a previous post that they are supposed to be 67". My old ones measured 65 1/2". Any thoughts. Maybe it doesn't matter too much, as both ends stick through the frame with a little excess. I just don't want to be short. Both will need extended threads.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Jun 03 2017 12:11 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Conduit is generally pretty thin walled, so I would stick with black pipe, especially since you need to extend the threads.
The pipes on a 615, do have a slight bend in them when positioned. I have done this before and I simply attached them to the top piece, then slid the center separator piece into place and when attaching the base you need to be careful as the pipes will have to be forced towards the center to get them attached to the base. you need to be careful to not end up with one of the pipes bent wrong.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Rigid conduit is as heavy walled as plumbing pipe and would work. I like the black pipe because paint adheres better. Galvanized can be painted but you have to prep it first.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Black iron is cheaper and will hold paint better. All of them except thin wall conduit will be structurally fine and will thread the same.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Black pipe it is. Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

And Kevin, I did notice the bend when I pulled out the old ones. I would've never guessed that was intentional, I just thought mine were bent, so thanks for that additional knowledge.

Hope you all have a great day.

Last edited by Speedracer; Sat Jun 03 2017 08:32 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved