Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I would also like to hear a behind the scenes take on the whole thing.... there are a couple other guys on here that have had the pickers at there place. Not that I would want them at my place. I've heard many stories of how it goes..... but those were just stories. Chris

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
It's what you don't see included in the filmed episode (purchases) that they bi pass and do not negotiate on that makes you wonder ? Rumor also is if there is not enough stuff to fill the episode that they bring stuff in. I don't know about that, only the ones participating would know and no one is going on record ? All I know is I would not sell my stuff for some of the prices they pay.I Especially dislike the way they beat people down over and over.Don't get me wrong I watch it and it is one of my favorite shows . But I wish they paid those folks a little bit more !

Last edited by buzzy56; Thu May 04 2017 11:06 AM.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
My friend knows a guy that they were bothering for years to go to his place and he finally let them in so that they would stop calling him every couple of weeks. When he was on the episode they stated that it was a place that they just came across by driving a round which wasn't even close to the actual truth.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I hope anybody on here does not believe any of that ***** is real and not staged.

Online Content
Originally Posted By Tankar
I hope anybody on here does not believe any of that ***** is real and not staged.

I suppose you are going to tell me the Easter bunny is not real as well?

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Well i can tell you that its in one way it is set up , I still like to watch it but in 2012 They came to some one I know very well .

I will not tell you what they told me but here is the clip from the local newspaper

For area fans of the History Channel series American Pickers, the Dec. 4 show brought a huge surprise as the indomitable pickers pulled up to Schurman’s Iron Ranch on 10th Ave. in Ridgefield.

The Reflector Newspaper reached owner Alan Schurman at his winter home in Arizona by phone the day after the program aired to get his response to the show.

Known to many area as a wondrous collection of antique gas and steam engines, tractors, old logging equipment and tons of other antique cars, machines, tools, toys, bicycles and motorcycles, Schurman’s delighted the American Pickers’ team, who were amazed at the volume of “great stuff” Schurman has amassed on his 30-acre property.

For those not familiar with the program, it involves subjects Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz roaming the country visiting junkyards, old barns, basements and attics searching for what they call “hidden gems.”

The producer describes the series thusly: “Hitting back roads from coast to coast, the two men earn a living by restoring forgotten relics to their former glory, transforming one person’s trash into another’s treasure. American Pickers follows them as they scour the country for hidden gems in junkyards, basements, garages and barns, meeting quirky characters and hearing their amazing stories.”

The “Full Head of Steam” episode featured visits to three locations in Washington State, but the lead story focused on Ridgefield’s Schurman and his “boneyard” of antique everything. He had asked that they not put in his address and they only call him Alan to preserve a bit of anonymity, and they gladly agreed.

But instead of Fritz, who was ill when the episode was filmed this past June, co-star Mike Wolfe brought his brother Robbie along, to explore the vast outdoor piles and some of the ranch’s eight buildings at the Schurman property.

“They spent a whole day here,” Alan says. “They arrived about 8 a.m. in a motor home, a couple of cars and a U-Haul truck. It was quite a motorcade.

“A producer had called me several weeks before telling me about the show and that they were interested in coming here,’’ Schurman said. “When I asked how they knew about me I learned that someone in Battle Ground, an antique motorcycle collector, had told them about me. Then one of their scouts came by with the guy who tipped them off. So I said, sure, come on by.”

The Pickers’ crew, cameramen, director, lighting and sound technicians and assistants quickly set up their gear and then Robbie and Mike headed into the boneyard to look for collectibles, wandering around and finding an antique tricycle, a church cupola, and some old lights. Then, the duo went inside several of the warehouses to wade through literally hundreds of items.

After much searching and delays to change camera positions, adjust lighting and sound equipment, the pair ended up purchasing a neon clock from a dairy, another clock, a 100-year-old motorcycle engine, and a couple of signs.

At one point the cameraman, director and Robbie conspired and set up Mike by ringing an antique bell, much to Mike’s annoyance.

“Fritz wouldn’t do that,” he exclaimed. “Stop touching everything.” But the conspirators got the last laugh when Mike learned he’d been punked, as the camera recorded the outburst.

The brothers particularly enjoyed riding in and driving the antique steam tractor. Robbie especially loved tooting the steam whistle.

“That’s something I like to let people drive once it gets fired up, they all seem to love it, even the gals who want to try their hand,” Alan said.

“The whole day was fun, they roamed all over and pulled out stuff, they made offers, I made counter-offers, and they agreed to buy my stuff, and then they carried it out to their van. But as they were loading it in the back of the van for the cameras, some of their ‘gophers’ were taking it out the side door away from the camera and putting it in the U-Haul truck.”

The Wolfe brothers ended up spending over $6,000 on their purchases, enriching what Schurman jokingly calls his “retirement fund.”

“We didn’t know what to expect, but I think we came across pretty good, we were pleased with what they did here,” he said.

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I will say I really enjoyed Hubba on the show !

Sid

www.trifivechevys.com
www.knifegates.com

Looking to buy Sealed Power Piston rings ITEM's
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
The Easter Bunny isnt real ?!?! Dammit!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Perhaps they make the "picked" sign a non disclosure statement about the whole production to try and keep it appear unrehearsed and spontaneous.

I always wondered how they fit everything after multiple stops into the small van...

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Someone should start a behind the scenes reality show to this one and call it "Picked".

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved