Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#684497 Wed Apr 12 2017 08:39 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
In the center of the attached photo is a G&B 65 pump on the left and a G&B 665, or 105 pump as referenced in Jack’s book, on the right. I apologize for all of the clutter in the picture. Both pumps are in as found condition and are believed to be complete.

I think the 665 is the first electrical pump manufactured by G&B and, as you can tell, the two models are very similar. I know of two other members on this site that have 665’s in their collections and here is my (our) problem.

None of the 665 pumps have a base! The model 65 has a small circular cast iron ring for a base and there is a large flat plate on the bottom of the pump chamber that spans the diameter of, and is bolted to, the base. The pump’s lower sheet metal has a flat bottom edge which also rests on the base. The model 665 pump chamber has a large casting on the bottom of the pump chamber, as shown in the second photo, that does not span the pumps overall diameter. In addition the lower sheet metal skin has a bead on the bottom lip which stands approximately a half inch of the ground when installed on the pump.

My question; can anyone tell me if the 665 pump had a base or, as I suspect, did this pump bolt down via the pump chamber like the earlier curb side pumps?

There are three Oldgasers that need to know the answer to this question.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1052.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I posted this response in another thread but yes, they had a thin base and the skins sat on it. I posted a picture of my 665 I had in the other thread and if you zoom in you can see it.

I'm going down to visit the guy I sold mine to in a month or two...I'll take pictures when I go if I can.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thank for your response.

I noticed the earlier post but thought it might help if I started a new one with a more direct title. When I was contacted by a third owner of a 665 who said he never had a base with his pump I thought I'd try to find someone who had a 665 in their possession so I could learn more about the base. It would be terrific if you, or another member, would be kind enough to take a picture of the pump base, preferably without the skins on.

I would gladly pay someone for letting me borrow their pump base to use as a pattern for casting some new bases.

Thanks again for offering to help some fellow Oldgasers.

Marshall

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My first pump restoration was this T66 (according to id plate on mine), my base was split in 2 but I am thinking I stripped a T65 to use that base, maybe there was a difference between the T66 and T665?
I have actual pictures of my pump during strip down, I'm not going thru the lengthy process needed to post them here but if they help I could send them to your email or text.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the post Rick,

The base on my 65 appears to be a one piece base and it certainly is not adaptable to the 665.

If you would be kind enough to email me a picture of the base on your 66 I'd like to compare it to the bottom of my 665. My email address is mhardyjr46@yahoo.com.

Thanks for your time.

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Admittedly not the best picture but it's all I have for now. If you look close and zoom you can see the base:

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the pictures. My 665 does not have a lower access door which the 65 has nor does it have a top shade over the clock face. There are many different versions of these pump as the manufactures continued to refine their designs.

Is it possible that the internal pump is different? I know the pump is no longer in your possession but a picture of the pump base with the skins removed would be very helpful. Can anyone else help???

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I think yours and the one I had are the same pumps. Mine didn't have a shade either...just a bump out like yours. And the access I'm pretty sure was cut-in by someone and not factory. It just doesn't make sense that the pumps wouldn't have a base (to me, at least). That design would leave the skins just sitting directly on the groun and would have rusted the heck out of them. Just my thought.

I'll try to get the pictures you need when I'm able.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. The pumps look very similar right down to the peg for a pricer sign and if someone made the access panel it is a very good copy of the 65 access panel.

Please note that my pump's skins do not sit on the ground, they are about a half inch off. This is a curb pump so I don't think they were designed to sit on anything but a hard surface.

Some one else out there must have another 665.

Pictures would be terrific!!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved