Next Thread
Print Thread
#684090 Thu Apr 06 2017 02:54 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
So I really like some of this guys stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192134007651

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-1939-Pi...l-/192148632989

So I wrote him asking for some reassurance as to authenticity and he wrote me quite a letter.

Yes, I do have more calendars than anyone on Ebay, or probably anywhere, for that matter. Probably the best indication on reproductions is there is always a lot of them. Most of the pieces I sell are one of a kind. Most of the repros do not have any advertising. They are a print, and a calendar pad. Most of the Marilyn Monroe "Golden Dreams" calendars are like that. When considering buying any calendar, do an Ebay search first for the same calendar with the same information on it. If there is a lot of them (just as in advertising signs) especially in real good conditon, then they are probably repros.

I have been buying, and collecting, long before these pieces were ever popular to collect. That is paying off for me now. Calendars are the new "hot" advertising item. They are still relatively low in cost, as compared to advertising signs. They are the wise investment right now. I understand your concern about buying, and getting taken on a repro item. As stated in all my listings, I do not sell reproductions. I hate them! Please look at my feedback. I have lots of happy buyers.

Regards, David

But I then noticed that he doesn't offer refunds which worried me again.
Any thoughts???
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Steven C. #684091 Thu Apr 06 2017 03:34 PM
D
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
D
Steve....I looked at all of his listings and all do appear to be original/period calendars and standees as described. I've collected ephemera far longer than I've collected old gas and all look good to me. As he said, even his Marilyn Monroe's are original, which is the exception today to find, most all are reprints on the market.
I would be comfortable buying any of his pieces.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Steven C. #684118 Thu Apr 06 2017 08:23 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Darin thank you so much!! I love the art in some of these old calendars!! It's nice to get reassurance from someone with experience!!

Again, thanks so much!!

Steve Coppens
Steven C. #684126 Fri Apr 07 2017 03:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, I would not worry about "no returns accepted" It doesn't matter what they say, everything is returnable per ebay rules, On the flip side when I sell something I don't want the item back, I put it for sale because I want it gone, That is where buyers should be 100% sure they want the item they are buying.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Steven C. #684139 Fri Apr 07 2017 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steve, now you did it. 15or 18 years ago I got a Marilyn Monroe 1953 calendar in pile of stuff I bought, mostly gas and oil. After reading your post it sparked my curiosity and now I'm on the search to see if mine is the real deal. I have found one that looks to be the real deal that looks like mine but has slight differences. I actually don't care one way or the other but would like to know. Flight control was not happy when I hung it in my shop and life was way easier when I just pulled it down and put in the drawer.

Have gas all the time
Steven C. #684560 Thu Apr 13 2017 01:42 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Jeez!! I wrote the guy and offer on three calendars. I took off 16%. $135 against $161. Maybe pushing it, but c'mon, dealing sometimes is part of the fun. So does he say "sure I could do that" or "no,sorry, can't go that low, how about $150? Or anything!
So I don't hear from him, so I figure okay, he's firm. I guess I'll just pay it. So I go to pay full price, and no, he's blocked me and won't even accept bids from me so I can't even buy them at priced value! What the hell!! I was ready to pay full price on all three.
I laughed to myself!

Steve Coppens

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved