Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#683679 Sat Apr 01 2017 05:49 PM
R
rigger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have two Marathon grease cans that appear to be pint sized. I think they are from the 30s or 40s due to the art deco. They have the Marathon runner on the can. Red and faded white. They appear to be unopened and still have grease in them. Found in an old barn that had a side room that was a shop. I am interested in the history of them, what is their age and possible value. I would also like info on how to determine value and authenticity of future finds. Are there books that can be bought to further educate? These are not for sale, but decorate the man cave. I do not own any original gas oil signs because I don't know what are good prices. Besides American Pickers has caused everybody to think they are sitting on gold. I don't know how to put the pics from my iPhone on here, but will send as email. Thanks for the help.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
R
rigger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
[img]http://[/img] [img]http://[/img]

IMG_1910.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good score .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Easier to look at.

IMG_1910.JPG

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Feeling helpful, it's a gorgeous Sunday, here's a few tips to get you started...

Tons of value/price guides on eBay to get you started - take into account year book was published and adjust values to current dollar worth and market. Some good guides, some are alright...useful for a basic understanding at the least. They make them for pumps, cans, oilers, globes, etc. Watch auctions on eBay for all types of items to get a feel for what different things go for. Use the "sold" option in your eBay searches and have fun seeing what items have gone for in the last 4 or so months. You can do the same on auction websites like liveauctioneers.com. It takes a while to get a feel for the hobby, but this site has a wealth of knowledge available if you use the search button and ask the right questions. Also, check out the COTM (Company of the Month) thread for Marathon, here is a link:

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=78948

Last edited by RedHat; Sun Apr 02 2017 09:02 AM.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items
R
rigger Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Do you know of any books or catalogs that show the time period of these cans? I do watch ebay etc. Thanks for any info you have.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you like gas pumps or air meters I have written four books, two on each subject. My gas pump books are presently out of stock and out of print (there is one used 2nd Ed. available on Amazon for over $3000). Descriptions or my books are on this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/

If you have time on your hands, there are over 12,000 petro illustrations on this site also.

Send me your email address and I'll put you on the list of guys who are waiting for the 3rd Edition of the gas pump book.
jhsim@petrocollect.com

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sun Apr 02 2017 04:30 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Your cans are late thirties - early forties.

Value .... 45 to 75 $ maybe a little more to the right buyer.

No guides I know of that list your cans.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Very Kool cans!!
Love the old stuff.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved