Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#682545 Thu Mar 16 2017 05:56 PM
S
schuh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
The pictures below are of a Gilbarco 96ER. After I restore these pieces, I want to attach a globe.The first picture shows The inner pump top which holds the top of the pump together .. on top of it is the outer top piece which is for looks. The second picture shows what appears to be a stainless cover which was used if you didn't want a globe.

The problem is, if I remove the stainless steel cover plate and mount the globe on the mounting hole provided, it will leak rain into the interior of the pump like a sieve (even after the rust holes are repaired). It will also pool water in the depression. I can't believe this is how the manufacturer intended it. So ....what am I not seeing ? What is the proper way to mount a globe to this pump.

Top2-640.jpg Top1-640.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
schuh #682547 Thu Mar 16 2017 06:08 PM
S
S
The silver plate is the top of the pump, it should have a hole in the center for globe light to go through. The globe mounting ring bolts on the top of the silver panel using the three holes shown. You are going to have to repair or replace the panel where it is rusted out

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ya it was a bad design for keeping water out!! I'm sure that's why 95% of them I see the top center section is like Swiss cheese. Chris

schuh #682584 Fri Mar 17 2017 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally, there was a cork gasket used between the top and the removable panel. There was also a cork gasket between the globe holder and the top panel.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
schuh #682585 Fri Mar 17 2017 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In the past, I have used plumbers putty to seal panels on pumps that were to be displayed outside. It's water proof and it doesn't dry out.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
schuh #682590 Fri Mar 17 2017 03:02 AM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
So there were two different close out panels for this pump? One with a hole for a globe and one like the OP's without the hole? So the OP has the wrong close out panel?

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
schuh #682594 Fri Mar 17 2017 05:29 AM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I have had these top inserts come with an indented cut out and plain. The plumbing was done for a globe on most. The factory left it up to the vendor to use a globe or not? I do not think that there was a correct insert top for a certain unit....it was whichever top was available to complete the order at the time? Just cut a hole using your globe mount ring as a pattern. Bolt two machine screws from front to back holding the ring on. If done side to side the top insert will not flex enough to tighten down....so beware. Seal as Dave described and display. These are really not too difficult if you think about it? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Fri Mar 17 2017 05:29 AM.
schuh #682735 Sat Mar 18 2017 07:48 PM
S
schuh Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the good suggestions. I'll probably cut a hole in the top insert as gasmansgp suggested and seal with putty as Dave suggested.

Leaving the top insert off and bolting the globe mounting ring directly to the mounting hole provided would leave depressions that would hold water and ultimately rust out, I'm sure.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved