Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#682497 Thu Mar 16 2017 09:46 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Hello everyone, I'm having a surprisingly hard time trying to find a mover to ship two 6' ft Gulf and Mobilgas porcelain signs. I have a listing on UShip that has been up for a couple of days now and zero bids so far. Fedex quoted me almost $400 to send one sign. I'm sending from 17225 to 80120. I'm in the price range of $200 - $500 to send. Can anyone comment on how they send large signs across the lower 48 please. Thank you.

Last edited by CollinBlu; Thu Mar 16 2017 09:49 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In the past I've used Frieghtquote.com after crating the sign up. It's easy enough to get quotes on their site (very similiar to uship). Greyhound may be a cheaper possibility (I'm not sure how big is allowed). Fastenal also keeps getting mentioned as a cheap way to send freight.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
C
OP Offline
C
The sign is too large for Greyhound and Fastenal only ships items that will fit on a pallet. The signs are too large to lay down on a pallet. I will check out Frieghtquote.com thank you so much!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Collin, once you find a shipper; please post the info so the rest of us will know for when we need to ship a large sign. Thanks and good luck.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
T
T
Collin, I would try FreightCenter, Inc! I have sent 6' signs from CA to NY for about $400. I would recommend that you go with R&L Carriers when they give you the option.

Shain

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
wink Try North American Van Lines, 1-800-959-8880. Beltmanlogistics.com Explain what you have and suggest using 4 Mirror Boxes. ( one at each corner to make square.) Door to door, no crating or palletizing necessary. smile Ed.

Last edited by Ed Steagall; Thu Mar 16 2017 01:17 PM.
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By Ed Steagall
wink Try North American Van Lines, 1-800-959-8880. Beltmanlogistics.com Explain what you have and suggest using 4 Mirror Boxes. ( one at each corner to make square.) Door to door, no crating or palletizing necessary. smile Ed.
Beltman is my primary shipper. I have had them ship complete Texaco 21 foot signs with the six foot sign still attached....all the way across the country. In most cases, I crate the big stuff and they pick it up an my shop. Give them a call. As for price, nothing is free....you'll have to step up or go get it yourself? I always rationalize what it would cost me to drive out and back? Usually trucking is cheaper? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

C
OP Offline
C
I think I'm going with Freightquote.com, the best quote I got was $420.02 and the carrier is New Penn Motor Express. The lift gift fee at residence drop off and the high insurance price on the signs is whats killing me on price. Anyone ever heard of New Penn Motor Express...? Thank you all!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I did use FedEx a couple years ago. 6 ft. Union 76. Long story..... but it was about $400 from Oregon to here and I picked up at local FedEx terminal.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never used Penn, have a friend that owns a business? Save you $50 or so using there address

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Ed Steagall

x2... NAVL does good work. They have a division that specializes in gas pumps, arcade machines, signs, pinball machines, etc... They deliver door to door. A gas pump only cost $450 from Michigan to South Dakota

And if FedEx quoted you $400 for one sign, it should be pretty close to that for two, if they are both going from 17225 to 80120, as your post says. Put them in the same crate with an old blanket between them.

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Mar 16 2017 09:01 PM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
C
OP Offline
C
Beltmanlogistics.com quoted me at $539.87, I'm going with New Penn Motor Express.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you have a problem with new Penn, you can use Freightquote.com to lean on them. That's the beauty of having a large broker like them on your side. When one of my shipments went south (carrier wouldn't pick up), freightquote leaned on them but eventually found someone better and freightquote ate the additional cost. IMO, any of these reasonable cost carriers can screw up if you use them enough.

Other thing that helps is packaging your item well enough to take a nuclear blast!

Last edited by Paul Bell; Fri Mar 17 2017 07:53 PM.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are patient uship will get you a good deal.

Scott Wright

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved