Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#681760 Sat Mar 11 2017 07:25 AM
J
Jack4th Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I am finishing up restoring a Fry 5 gal. Mae West. My wife surprised me this Christmas with gallon markers she got from the friendly folks at Gas Pump Heaven. I don't have a cutoff valve were the hose meets the pump, so I assume it is a wet hose vs. a dry hose. Why do the the gallon markers,(in the pictures I've seen) count down instead of up? I know it's probably something simple, I just can't wrap my head around it. I searched the past forums but had no luck. I will pay homage for anyone's enlightenment, thankyou

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Look under forum frequently asked question. Topic gallon markers up or down. Jim aka Oldgas done a good job of explaining it there.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
J
Jack4th Offline OP
OP Offline
J
thankyou Loyd, now I understand

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Your welcome. All you need is a gate valve between pump and hose to make it dry. As cars and roads improved the need for more gas at a stop was needed. That is why you find so many with gallon selector handle ran to last position and removed or cut off so door would shut and could be locked. Also some were changed for farm pumps where it wasn't that important to keep up with gas total sold. SO says DB our pump mentor,as he tried to help me get my head around it.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved