Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#680955 Thu Mar 02 2017 08:15 PM
A
AintQik Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Found these together. What do you think?

Sign is 30x72. I have no idea how to determine a fake and I know from other hobbies we don't share that. So I will add data here in hopes it may provide some info
The letters/colors have distinct "layers" it's almost as if individual colors were printed in layers. There is no date or manufacture mark on the sign. Single sided. Appears to be porcelain. Back has smears and almost finger prints. Again have no idea if any of this is useful information.

Pump appears to be original or at least authentic. I could not imagine anyone going through that much trouble. However who knows. Internals are present. Side porcelain plack present.

Thank you!

Last edited by Oldgas Moderator; Sat Mar 04 2017 11:52 AM. Reason: edit to put brand name in title
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Stand back and get pictures of the items so we can see the whole thing at once. That will help us provide feedback

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
A
AintQik Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Will do, just need to get the thing out of my truck.

Here is one before I loaded. I'll get some of the sign tonight.

A
AintQik Offline OP
OP Offline
A

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
Hello from North Jersey RJ. Both the pump and sign are legit.
Welcome to the site, and enjoy the hobby .

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
Y
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Y
Welcome to this site , glad to see another car guy looking for old metal with young kids, I've got 3 girls and every time I bring a new pump home they get thrilled because they get to go in the shop with dad and gut the pump and clean it!!

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Good finds, nice to have your kids get involved. When my son was young we attended many shows together. Best of times back them. You will have lots of memories .Love that Firestone. Have the matching curb sign.

Wanted TEXACO related items & SUNOCO related items .Signs -Globes et'c. Oil Cans - Grease cans .
A
AintQik Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks, I'm originally from Sussex county and my uncle worked in the Ford plant in Mahwah.

This will be my first attempt at restoring a pump. Do you guys have any links to find info on how to restore it and retain the most value? Not knowing what the pump was, I would imagine the popular brands would be worth more? Are there any parts that are more valuable than others? For instance, if I can clean up a certain part like the face, or some trim and even if it would not be perfect it would be more desired to have the original piece present? I know it looks beat, but there are a good many things that can be saved and look 90% and I'm not sure which is best. Thanks, and I will be looking around for the answer but I figure you guys have been doing this and can offer some advice.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There are many ways to restore the pump, it all depends on what you're going for, there's no correct answer, just look around at the site and you'll see many variations from beautifully restored pumps, that are works of art far beyond what any station would have done, down to the popular "rustoration" style that more accurately represents what an aged pump would've looked like, look up Matt Alvarez in the search box on the site for some awesome examples of the rustoration type of restoration, basically it's yours to do with as you please it can be tailored to whatever your budget is. I've done both and honestly prefer the rustoration, or left as found look (it's only original once), not that either direction is right or wrong, as I said it all depends on what you're looking for.
Welcome to the site, enjoy.
Also, your pump look to have a porcelain Ethyl badge on it, that is a pretty cool find as well.

Last edited by Let er' Buck; Sun Mar 05 2017 10:46 AM.

Always looking for Frontier and Beeline items.
A
AintQik Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I like Mikes work. That looks like what I would want to do saving as much as I can. The pump right now shows evidence of about 3 or 4 different schemes. White, red, blue and orange; and another light blue. Who knows. I'm slowly taking it apart to remove the pump. There was a sign on the front and back at one time that had 4 mount holes in the shape of a diamond about 8" apart. Hoping that leads me to a clue about original brand but I'm not terribly hopeful. Pump was set to 28 cents. Seems it was taken off line a while ago.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to Oldgas- Your daughter is a cutie! Blue Sunoco would be my guess. I've had original or what I believe to be original- Gilbarco's from Sunoco

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
"Thanks, I'm originally from Sussex county and my uncle worked in the Ford plant in Mahwah."

My Dads Shell station was near the plant. Looking for a Ford employee badge from there if you come across one.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved