Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
I found these forums through Google search based on a pump I have found. It looks like you guys/these forums is the best chance I have of identifying this pump and getting your thoughts on the asking price based on model number and condition. But, I found this at an antique store which is saying that it was a barn find. It looks to be in fairly good condition. I THINK the model is a fry model 70, but it's hard to tell from the tag because it's a little worn. I was hoping you guys might be able to identify it based on differences from other models, which I would be familiar with. If it is a model 70, it appears there isn't much info on them. The guy has said he'll take 2100 for it. I have never seen one in person. I'm surprised to see my first one with the original glass. Let me know your thoughts. It's nice to be a part of the forums as well!

IMG_3097.jpg IMG_3096.jpg IMG_3095.jpg IMG_3093.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
F
OP Offline
F
It looks like you have to click on the picture link to see the first picture that has the model number/name plate.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It appears to be missing it's base and pump. Nice skin condition and color though.

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
70 series Fry...may be a 70. Do a rub on the tag. The pump number is stamped into that bottom brass tag. Looks like it is missing a few parts ? Base, pump handle, pump ? If the cylinder is good...maybe $1000-$1200(because the cylinder also fits the 117). Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Appears to be stamped 70 on the tag.

id tag.jpg

Have gas all the time
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for all of the replies guys! It does still have the pump handle....gun, but when you guys refer to the "pump," are you referring to the main mechanism that would be at the bottom that actually brings the gas in? If so, how can you guys tell and how could I verify? I know the base is missing, so I wasn't sure if it was attached to that or if it could still be attached inside. If the pump is still inside (if that's what you were referring to,) would that make the asking price more reasonable, or should it still be around the 1200 range? Sorry, I'm completely new to these. If it is a model 70, does that make the value go up because of them being more rare?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the pump that would be inside with the crank shaft sticking outside of the skins not being there and the base missing those are tough finds and a major value hit to me.

Have gas all the time
F
OP Offline
F
Ok. So I need to see if the pump is still in there. The crank shaft is there, it's just sitting to the side of the pump. It's the silver bar sitting there. I think the pump itself is inside the unit because I kind of remember seeing a fitting in that hole where the crank would go. So IF the pump is indeed there, what would you be looking to pay for it? And what would you pay if the pump wasn't there?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is not a rare pump and although it is neat, it is not aesthetically pleasing to look at like a 17 or 117. The pump handle mounts on the pump shaft which protrudes through a hole in the lower panel. The nozzle(gun) is something different.Is the glass cylinder in good shape ? Where are you going to find a cast iron bottom ? I stick to my original estimate...Dave

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks catauladave. The glass is not cracked anywhere, just dirty. As to the bottom, I would have to either find a reproduction if they make them, or just wait until an original pops up. But, based on what I'm reading in here, it sounds like I'd be paying too much for the pump at 2100. I read somewhere that there were only a couple thousand of the model 70s made, and one guy mentioned there not being a lot of information on them, so I thought they might have been fairly rare.

F
OP Offline
F
How would you guys go about talking the seller down in price? Sounds like he's going to have to come down quite a bit.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
explain to him what is missing and how hard and expensive it is to find parts for the pump

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You might try to track down the origin of the pump and find the missing base. It may be embedded in cement or just laying around. The pump looks like it has been inside and not out in the elements. This is the base to that pump. Dave

fry base.JPG
Last edited by Catauladave; Sun Feb 19 2017 07:06 AM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The handle is not correct and I don't think it would work on this pump. There seems to be a shaft off the pumping unit inside but something doesn't look right to me. Here is a pic from Jacks book. Hope this helps, I would be hard pressed to pay more than $800.00 to a $1000.00 because of the key pieces missing.

fry pump hole.jpg 70.jpg

Have gas all the time
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'll post a photo of the handle later. That looks like an aluminum repo handle for an American ? Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/American-Visible-Gas-Pump-Aluminum-Handle-/160457397702?hash=item255c0195c6:m:mMpUP1Q-_gU62pY9W5Evauw

fry 70 handle 001.JPG fry 70 handle 002.JPG
Last edited by Catauladave; Sun Feb 19 2017 02:22 PM.

Dave Jones
It's All Just Stuff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved