Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#679588 Thu Feb 16 2017 01:22 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Pics Below.

Greetings all, quick introduction my names Michael new here, I actually am in my mid 30s so most of this great gas stuff is well before my time. BUT, even without growing up with it I am quite obsessed. I have a small online business and antique booth where I sell American relics/antiques. Real signs, alot of soda and some gas/oil, barber shop items, and more. I only like the real stuff not fakes. I have much learning to do and appreciate any wisdom offered here.

I recently bought what I am pretty confident is just a fake or a complete overhaul of an old pump. I knowingly bought it thinking its probably a repop. The price was very good from a private sale and it still seemed very well constructed. Again, I usually despise reproductions but I have never owned a pump and just could not say no on this one. Some things are obvious, like the clock with plastic battery back... and the knob on side possibly used to power the missing globe?

I would be grateful for some clarity regarding this pump.

1. What is the model number/original maker? Bowser? Model 53? Time Sentry? Year made?

2. All fake? or is the outer portion/main frame real? Who made the Fake? I can tell the nozzle is real...Anything on this pump look original?

3. With the yellow color scheme and model pump what brand of gas globe would you suggest would look nice on it? Size globe? Plastic? Real Globe? Put a Repop globe on it?

4. And finally, Whats it worth roughly please? see similar repop one ebay for nearly 3000.00 but that's not a sold price. What would you price this at if I put it in my antique shop... I understand you only have photos to look at... Hopefully it will sit a bit in the booth so I can enjoy it but I have a baby to feed. And I buy/sell out of passion but also for a living.

DISCLAIMER: I understand there are great books out there, I understand I can dig more on the internet and this great forum. Just hoping to get the wheels turning on my first pump purchase. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

IMG_8204.JPG IMG_8210.JPG IMG_8211.JPG IMG_8213.JPG
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
OP Offline
M
more pics

IMG_8220.JPG IMG_8219.JPG IMG_8218.JPG IMG_8202.JPG
M
OP Offline
M
more pics again

IMG_8216.JPG IMG_8212.JPG IMG_8211.JPG IMG_8214.JPG
M
OP Offline
M
pics again again

IMG_8210.JPG IMG_8206.JPG IMG_8203.JPG IMG_8208.JPG
Online Content
That is a fantasy made up piece made to look like a gas pump.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Hello, Michael, and welcome to Old Gas. Yes!....this is what I would call a "fantasy item", as well. A Bowser pump never existed in this scaled-down size, and with all those exterior brass parts (to name just a few things).

As you noted, you can dig into this more on the internet...and you should! The clue to where to start your search is close at hand. Look at the gas pump faces or dials. "Time Sentry" is the branding used by the guy that produced these pumps some years back. So, Google that, and you'll be off and running.

Perhaps it has been removed, but, when new, all of these Time Sentry fantasy pumps had an exterior brass plate on them. It reads: Time Sentry Model 53 / Pump No. XXX / Mfg by Doug Pray Enterprises / Broken Arrow, OKLA.

Finally, as far as a globe goes: The answer is a logical one. Note the "Chevrolet" graphics already on the pump. Get yourself a $100 reproduction Chevrolet globe. Then, some Chev car guy will come upon the pump in your antique sales booth, and just have to have it. Don't make this thing into more than it is, my friend. Good luck on this. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Thu Feb 16 2017 02:12 PM.
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Ryan, I am just going to assume you have a bit of a bias as I see you operate an "authentic only" pump business and this "fantasy" pump may be offensive to you. As the moderator maybe this post may see a little more help in the fakes section? Feel free to help me move it into the right place if needed.

I too can respect your dislike of fakes as I genuinely am not a fan of reproductions either and and they often offend me too. However, when something like this "fantasy" pump falls into your lap for next to nothing and you have never had a pump I thought I might at least grab it up and see what I can learn. Especially as someone new in the field.

Possibly a touch more of an explanation then "fantasy item" might help a new guy like me to stray away from pieces like this in the future and motivate me to buy only real authentic pieces from a dealer like yourself?

So thus far I have learned it is a fantasy item.... That is a good start. Was this so called fantasy item made to replicate any pump out there in the world....an Erie pump possibly?

Anyone else interested in helping out I would be grateful. Thanks again...

M
OP Offline
M
And thank you John for your help. Felt like I was in the wrong forum for a moment! Greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch.

Online Content
I want to be clear, I never said that your "pump" was offensive to me or that I disliked it. You asked what it was and I answered the question.

Welcome to Oldgas!

Last edited by Ryan Underthun; Thu Feb 16 2017 02:34 PM.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

M
OP Offline
M
Ha Ha. Thank you Ryan look forward to the group.

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted By Seth Robbins
At Vic's Place, we also carry the American Visible Reproduction. Also, we carry a clock-face pump called the TIME SENTRY. It is a beautiful pump, all hand-crafted steel, and polished brass. We carry a blank globe that could be customized. Check out our website, www.vicsplace.com. Seth/Vic's

Found these guys use to carry it. Will keep on digging. Thanks everyone.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Michael, Welcome to Oldgas. Best of luck with your pump!

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By "fantasy Item" they mean that it is not a copy or reproduction of anything. The original builder of these pumps made them as decorator pieces for people that wanted a gas pump sitting along side their hot rod, but didn't want to pay the price of an original.
It has no real value to a "collector" and will always be just what it was originally constructed as. Its a fantasy decorator piece.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
OP Offline
M
Ok. Good to know thanks. Learning already, appreciate it!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First welcome to Old Gas.

Here is one I have in the raw. Got this one from Vic moons ago and will probably be many moons before I do anything with it. Vic made quite a few of these and a lot went to restaurants initially. And you're correct they are well constructed. In a weird way I dig them.

vics pump.jpg

Have gas all the time
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved