Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
MrEarl Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Newbie here, just bought my first visible and am a bit confused. It is a Gilbert and Barker 176 in pretty good original condition. Is red and was possibly repainted many years ago. My first question is probably a stupid one but is there a front and back to these. Front meaning the side that would likely face away from the station and be seen by the public as they pulled up to the pump. What makes me ask this is that I see many pumps that have a hose nozzle hanger bolted to the top bolt next to the outlet pipe on the door side. Mine however has/had a hook mounted to the other side ie opposite the door side.It got broke while loading and I want to either have it spot welded or fabricate a new one. Is this a correct hook for this pump.It appears it may have had another hook that was broken way back.
Also what might have at one time been mounted in the screw holes you see just under the hose hook?
Will really appreciate any help with my questions.

IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3071.JPG IMG_3072.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
There really is no front and back. Since the pumps were on an island, a customer could pull up to either side of the pump and receive gasoline. My T-176 did not have a nozzle holder and there were no holes where one would have been mounted. I purchased a T-177 that did have a nozzle holder like the one you show and it had the ears broken off; had them welded back, grinded down the welds, painted it and it looked good to me. You are missing one of the ears. Mine was mounted on the side opposite the long door. Some type of small sign was probably mounted where the two holes are located; probably not a "contains lead" sign because they typically have 4 screws holding them in place.

Joe

Last edited by model72; Wed Feb 15 2017 11:29 AM. Reason: change
P
P
My T-176 does have a nozzle hanger that is bolted to one of the eight bolts that thread into the cylinder base. The hanger is about 6 inches long and 1 inch wide, and has what appears to me to be a factory bent horseshoe so it fits neatly over the top rib of the pump side(skin). On mine it is bolted on the back side, but it could just as easily be bolted on the side with the door and the ID/UL plates.

I believe my T-176 is the same as when it left the G&B factory; it was never rebranded and still had remnants of the factory paint (yellow w/black trim) when I got it. There were no holes in the skins where another type of nozzle hanger might have been. Mine may be an early version of the T-176 as it has the short door; a dating clue is the patent date in the glass cylinder is January, 1919.

M
MrEarl Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys, really appreciate your responses! Yea, after looking at about 100 pages of the old gas pump pictures here I had pretty much determined I could turn it ever which way would look best to me and it would be good. Thanks for that great picture model72, I was wondering if both the ears were the same shape and size and they appear to be. I had only been able to find one picture showing that style of hanger and it wasn't close enough to tell much. Since I am missing an ear, in lieu of having the one welded back I may try to fabricate one. I will also post in the wanted forum for one.
Thanks again!!

M
MrEarl Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Here's a couple pictures of how I ended up turning mine. The nozzle is just hanging by a piece of wire jor the time being

IMG_3266.JPG IMG_3265.JPG
M
MrEarl Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hmmmm, not sure why you have to click on the link to see the pictures, I am posting from my iphone.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nicely displayed, I like your building.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
M
MrEarl Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Dave. That's my Buick Sales and Service Garage that will someday house my 1954 Buick's. Been working on it for the last 3 years and just now finishing up the outside. Now for the inside.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved