Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Mike, Thanks so much for taking the time and trouble to post so many photos. It gives me the impression of actually being there.

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a nice variety of cool memorabilia , thanks for your time of taking & posting pictures .. ... cool

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice job on the photos Mike!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One thing I notice while looking at all the signs together in these pictures, is that it seems that there are very few signs under an 8. All very good quality, especially for all of them being from the same owner.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)
T
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
T
It was by far his best condition auction.

H
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
H
thanks for the pics, Mike, Glenn works hard all year

N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
Frontier for $27,000, wow.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This was such a promising show that I drove 9 hours from Michigan to attend in person. Since i'm relatively new to this hobby, I wanted to see these signs in person to get an "eye" for what the real McCoy looks like. I also figured between shipping and the lack of an on-site buyer's premium I would come out even cost-wise anyway by attending in person. The quantity and quality of the signs offered was amazing - great stuff to look at. Unfortunately, the prices realized were also amazing. I had seven lots I was interested in. I did the market research to see what similar signs brought in 2016 to be a smart bidder. On almost every lot, I went 25% OVER what I should have and still came away empty-handed. Really discouraging. Great for the seller, not so good for us buyers. I will not be going back.

BrianH

Brian H
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Well, Brian...I hope you still had fun at the auction, and came away knowing a bit more about what to look for in signs.

And Mike, let me join the others to thank you for taking your time to post the excellent photos. John

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great auction!!

Braden Splichal

Mike M. Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By BrianH
Unfortunately, the prices realized were also amazing. I had seven lots I was interested in. I did the market research to see what similar signs brought in 2016 to be a smart bidder. On almost every lot, I went 25% OVER what I should have and still came away empty-handed. Really discouraging. [BrianH

Brian, please do not be discouraged by one auction but please understand that Glenn's auction this year would be described as a "Collectors Auction". This is me describing a auction filled with top quality items. When the advertising signs are this nice they are most always going to bring top dollar because buyers are not paying a price to be able to turn them around for a profit, they are buying them for their collection. I was there both days and I believe I purchased 16 items and out of that I probably have 3 items that I bought that I know went below market value. All the rest I purchased for my private collection including a few to update ones I have because they are in NOS condition and the ones I had were not.

And with any auction always remember that all it takes is two people to want something and Boom, the price soars!!! LOL

The other thing I got out the auction is that due to the rise in price of petro advertising, both farm and soda sign prices are rising probably due to buyers looking for cheaper advertising signs.

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice collection of signs. Would have been great to be there in person.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mike,
I was there for the same reason - I'm a collector, not a dealer or "flipper". I just wanted the chance to add a few nice signs to my collection. I THOUGHT I knew what the market was on these based on past sales but they sold for way beyond that (typically 30-40% more). I know condition is everything with signs so these should all be on the high end of the price range. I took that into account when figuring out the market value on the lots I was interested in. Honestly, I saw very few deals at that show. The couple other oldgassers I saw at the show felt exactly the same way. That's OK though, lots of guys came away happy with their deals and that's all that matters. I'll just keep on looking.

BrianH

Brian H
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved