Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#679338 Mon Feb 13 2017 11:34 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I am starting my first restoration. I have disassembled the counter/computer, and have a few questions. I know there are a couple of people on here that restore these for a fee, but I want to tackle this one on my own. It is more rewarding when you do it yourself. My meter had a fair amount of rust, and I want to restore it to original. My questions are as follows:

1. Were the gears and other parts all plated? I can see the plating on some of the fasteners, but I cannot tell on the gears.

2. If so, was this a zinc plating?

3. What about the counter side frame pieces? Were they plated? In some places they look like they were plated.

4. What about the variator? It looks like in some places it has some plating left on it.

For those that have done this before, to get to a high end restoration, what are you doing to these parts? I have restored cars, so I am familiar with a lot of the paints available to mimic the zinc look. Is this what people are using? Are they using this for the shutters too, or are they replating.

On the counter wheels, I have ordered the numbers for both sets. However, the ones I have, after removing the paint on a few of them that have anything remaining, the numbers on the larger wheels are slightly elevated. Would I be better off just painting those or are the decals the best route?

I am sure I will have a lot more questions, but these are all I can come up with for now.

Thank you for anyone that is willing to help out.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All the metal parts had to be plated, I can see it when I glass bead them but I don't know what process was used. A plating shop most likely could recognize the finish.
I don't plate the ones I rebuild because it would drive the cost out of sight. I just soak it very well with a light oil. Most likely the finished pump will be indoors and not subject to weather. When the pump is assembled and the covers are on the Veeder Root the gear train is hidden and I can't see the added cost justifiable.

The shutters might be a more reasonable part to plate. Some are stainless and some are brass.

As far as wheels I recommend finding a new old stock set. I hate decals. You can refinish the indented wheels. And I don't sell the wheels, I use them on my rebuilds.

I have the factory Veeder Root service manual posted on my web site.

Good luck!

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
tbuckles #679488 Tue Feb 14 2017 08:45 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Any idea where to locate a new old stock set? I look on eBay all the time, but have not run across a set like mine. Mine were silver with either black or white lettering. I am pretty sure mine is a 45 computer.

Last edited by Gasoline24; Tue Feb 14 2017 08:46 PM.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Before you ask for a set of NOS wheels, you need to determine what V/R you have. We can't see your V/R, and if you will notice, you didn't bother to tell us what gas pump you took the V/R out of.
There are probably three V/R experts here on OG, and there probably over 100 others who could answer your questions, but we only ask for a little bit of information or a picture. If you went to my website page as I suggested, you will have seen that V/R had many different computers, we only need to know which one you are asking about. If I was restoring a antique car as you do, and I need a wheel, wouldn't you want to know the make and model I was asking about?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If your wheels had original silver background then they have to be smooth wheels which were used in the model 45. All the wheels are the same for all the crank back models,...the ones that have the shutters that cover the wheels when cranked back to reset. The crank backs also used black background indented wheels, be careful not to get them mixed up with the larger diameter model 56.

Finding nos wheels are getting tough. I'm always on the hunt and have never found the silver background.

Tom.

Jack Sim #679717 Sat Feb 18 2017 07:36 AM
G
OP Offline
G
I put down that I thought it was the 45 counter. It is out of a Model 86 G & B pump. Does that get you everything you need?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The GB 86 takes any of the 12" computers. A model 36, 45, or 49 all will fit.

Tom.

Always buying gas pumps and parts.

Visit my web site: www.gaspumps.us
Buckles Vintage Gas Pump Parts LLC
Carthage Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved