Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
EAK69 Offline OP
OP Offline
OK - so some here may know I am restoring a vintage gas station on Route 66 in Galena KS called the 'Front Street Garage'. It was in operation from 1932 to about 1958. I am restoring it to how it looked from a photo from 1947.

I have MOST of the items picked out, bought, reproduced or have found out how to get them. I have a question about two particular cans which I CANNOT locate or find any info on.

The picture is not great, but I can make out the cans on the bottom shelf are two toned with a darker color on the bottom half and the center emblem looks like a triangle or a diamond.

I have searched 'vintage oil' 'vintage oil can' 'vintage coolant' vintage anti freeze' and 'vintage transmission fluid' as I am thinking this items would be period correct.

Attached are two images. The first being the garage in 1947, and the second of a close up of the cans and rack.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Ed
Route 66 World / Front Street Garage
www.route66world.com - updated often!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
M
They almost look like those trop artic Phillips quarts that have been going around lately-except that center insignia is more shaped like a top? There are definitely a series of horizonatal bands going across the center like a Phillips-we need participation from some of our resident quart experts here.Does the branding on the box mounted on end of rack lend any clues?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like a firestone Insignia to me.???

LOOKING-4:WELDING SIGNS,Charter/Finance/PulOil/Trulite/TruTest-Oils,True's gas CORALINE/RAINBOW, Gardner 70 items of Yakima wa., Wa/Or/Id Chief items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Cool garage. There's a lot going on in that first picture. I don't recall seeing a Service Station photo with so many different signs and equipment before.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Not two-toned, three? At least the badge/emblem has a darker colored band than the bottom--unless there is white lettering causing the bottom under the badge to look lighter

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
What is amazing is that Gelena still allowed gas pumps on the curb, in 1947.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I noticed on the rack which you have indicated you would like to know the brand of cans, is a AC Oil Filter Box. Here is a picture of a restored AC Tin box like the one in the picture. Also in the picture I see a Delco Battery sign? Any thoughts?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just sold a ac box like that it was dated 1941 if that helps any.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good eye Maurice. That AC Oil Filters box is actually a paper towel dispenser.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice photo.

Collecting Vintage Sunoco
K
K
It looks like the box at the end of the rack has the same emblem, only larger. It's hard to tell, but it looks like an arrowhead.

EAK69 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By West Coast B/A
I noticed on the rack which you have indicated you would like to know the brand of cans, is a AC Oil Filter Box. Here is a picture of a restored AC Tin box like the one in the picture. Also in the picture I see a Delco Battery sign? Any thoughts?

About 90% of the items are accounted for - the oil box is a bonus (thank you!!) and there are a few other things I will post on here in the near future as soon as I can figure out those oil cans!!! ;-)

Ed
EAK69 Offline OP
OP Offline
My question is: Does it have to be an oil can? Seeing the garage sold anti freeze and such, and anti freeze was sold in quart sized cans back then, maybe could be something like that as well?

Ed

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved