Next Thread
Print Thread
#676867 Mon Jan 16 2017 03:41 PM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Does anyone have a picture of a gas pump from this company? I just picked up two original pump decals that match the globe I already had. This is the 1950's-60's version with the 8 point border with red top FARM BUREAU and black bottom CO-OP. I need to know what color to paint the pump. Thanks Richard

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can't help you with the full size pumps, but the salt & peppers were solid white pumps.

FB Coop.jpg

Regards, Jim

I collect gas pump salt and pepper shakers
and the plastic coin banks made by AVSCO.
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Thanks Jim for the info. Nice shakers, I forgot I do have the patch also. Richard

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
gatorgaspumps
I think you you are missing the big picture of the life of a gas pump.
Large oil companies owned stations, they would buy pumps in bulk and put their decals/signs on them. When these pumps started to look a little old the oil company would buy and replace these pumps with new pumps. Just like used cars, the old pump would be sold to rebuilders, etc. who would then sell them to anyone.
Also, going back, pump companies would sell their pumps through local petroleum equipment dealers. They kept a supply of pump in their warehouse waiting for a call from Mom & Pop who contacted them wanting to purchase a pump. Mon & Pop didn't care if it was a Tokheim or a Bennett they just wanted to buy a pump they could afford. If they couldn't afford a new pump, they bought a rebuilt/refurbished pump.
Now, if the giant oil company purchased 100/200/300 pumps at a time, the pump company would do anything to make them happy. The pump companies would paint them any color they wanted, just send us the signs/decals we will put them anywhere you want, anything to sell pumps.
Most pumps that were turned in to local rebuilders were sold to local small oil companies and naturally branded with their oil company name. Mom and Pop, would just work with the company that was supplying them with gasoline. A rep from this company would come out and apply the signs/decals/globe etc. regardless of what the pump color was.
Some guys will say that for example, Standard used Gilbert & Barker pumps. Yes, they did use a lot of G&B pumps, but consider why Standard would buy pumps from a company that was in MA and ship them all the way out to California when basically the same pump could be purchased from Southwest in Texas, and also G&B or any other large pump company had to sell a lot more pumps than any one oil company would purchase.
Always consider where collectors find pumps. Most Boyle-Dayton pumps are found on the west coast, mostly in California, where are Clear Vision pump found, mostly in Kansas.
One last thing, companies such as Progress advertised/sold pumps directly to the user, they didn't use petro equipment dealers.
So, what am I trying to say, your decals/globes/signs could at one time been on any pump companies pumps, depending on the circumstances.
Find a pump, restore it, put your items on it.
Years ago, an old fried to most of us old timers, Dick Bennett, would tell guys there are no pump police out there to tell you your pump is incorrect. Dick was correct, but I was the guy that came up with the "pump police", Dick just used it more than I did, but regardless, it applies here.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved