Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#675588 Sun Jan 01 2017 04:36 PM
B
bhull Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I was wondering if somebody could tell me what this pump is and when it was made. I know it is a 5 gallon Guarantee Liquid Measure, and my Dad remembers seeing it in 1937, and it is a Texaco. There is a G&B top resting on top of it that doesn't go with it, and it appears to have never had a globe on it as there is a screw on plug on top of it, and it was under a low porch. I would love to have some pics of one correctly done, and would love to put it back as original and with original parts so far as I can. I don't mean to be a pest, but it means a lot to me since my Dad gave it to me, and I'm actually afraid to take it apart until I know I can get parts and can properly restore it. I also have a 10 gallon G&B to do after this one. It looks like a Fry pump from some of the pictures I've seen but it doesn't say Fry anywhere on it. Thanks for your help.

IMG_1345 (2).JPG IMG_1348[1] (2).JPG IMG_1350.JPG IMG_1355.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
bhull #675589 Sun Jan 01 2017 04:47 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Fry and Guarantee Liquid Measure were the same company. You have a Model 17 with a rare totalizer on it. Would like to see a picture of the totalizer with the flap up to see the face and which model totalizer you have.

Last edited by petropumps; Sun Jan 01 2017 04:47 PM.
bhull #675594 Sun Jan 01 2017 05:38 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Fry refers to the glass cylinder which was made by the Fry Glass Company which was nearby to the Guarantee Liquid Measure pump company. Thus the names were used interchangeably.

bhull #675602 Sun Jan 01 2017 06:16 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
For information about your pump see this page of my website: http://petrolianacollectibles.com/guarantee%20pumps.htm

Fry was one of the initial investors in the new Guarantee Liquid Measure Company. The reason he invested in the company is because he owned a ceramic and glass factory. His agreement was that his company would supply all the glass cylinders used in the making of these pumps. Around 1922 he was made the president of GLM, and soon after the name of the company was changed to Fry.

The ceramic items his company made are very collectible today. Identification books have been written about his products. Here is an opportunity for your wife to get interested in what you are doing, you collect Fry pumps, she collects Fry ceramics.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
bhull #675634 Sun Jan 01 2017 09:32 PM
B
bhull Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thanks so much for the help. Here's a picture of the gauge with a lockable flap. What year was it made? I feel like it is missing some pieces that I hope I can find. Again, thanks for sharing your wisdom.

IMG_1346 (2).JPG
bhull #675639 Mon Jan 02 2017 12:10 AM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
Thanks for the pic. They made a model of that totalizer that had a porcelain face that resembled a watch chronograph...I had one and sold it years ago. Been looking for another ever since. Your pump looks pretty complete. What are you concerned about?

bhull #675679 Mon Jan 02 2017 11:33 AM
B
bhull Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I started dismantling it today for sandblasting. I'm saving all bolts etc., and labeling everything for assembly. Does anybody know when this pump was made?

bhull #675682 Mon Jan 02 2017 11:53 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That is such a cool looking pump . Its just my opinion but I would try to make it complete with original parts , clean it up good and leave it the way it is . Again its just my 2 cents worth.

bhull #675708 Mon Jan 02 2017 04:21 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
No one has ever found any information that can be used to date your pump. When I designed the web page I listed above I posted many pictures and posted them by dates because I wanted to help to identify when pumps were made.

I have gathered a great deal of information on this pump again trying to determine when things were changed. I have also requested people send me a full picture of their pump and the information on the ID tag.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
bhull #675744 Mon Jan 02 2017 09:45 PM
B
bhull Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Wasatch Man I was all over the idea of flat clearing the whole pump, but it's going to be under a timberframe porch on the entrance to my shop and my Dad wanted it restored. Jack Sim your link was super helpful and I thank you. The bolts came out quite easily,but the rings around the cylinder would make a preacher cuss. On the back of the pump the rectangular cover about halfway up the stand was rusted out on the bottom, but the rest of it is very sound.

bhull #675762 Tue Jan 03 2017 07:13 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ok I understand it will look great , and I hope you post some pictures when your done . Peter

bhull #675767 Tue Jan 03 2017 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Remember, it can only look like your picture "ONCE" and it took about 100 years to get it that way! Most of us hunt forever and never ever find what you have. I started out restoring everything and quickly realized that some pumps look better and are worth more in the "as found" condition. Restoration is necessary in some cases, but I truly regret restoring a couple of the pumps I own!
Good luck with it, whatever you do! Its an amazing piece of Petroliana history!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
bhull #675772 Tue Jan 03 2017 08:14 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very well put , I did the same thing when I started out collecting ,I wanted everything to look perfect . Now I have some beautifully done , not by me restored pumps but some of them thinking back now how they looked when I found them makes me wish they looked that way again but there's no turning back. Again its just my opinion. Thanks Peter

bhull #675801 Tue Jan 03 2017 02:28 PM
B
bhull Offline OP
OP Offline
B
If this thing had any paint on it whatsoever I would clear and call it a day. My grandson is going to help, we try to restore something about every Winter, so I'm trying to talk myself into a decent restoration. I also just ordered a bunch of new parts today also.

bhull #675834 Wed Jan 04 2017 12:42 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
bhull

Please take a good look at the first two pictures you supplied above. The second is of the UL tag and the ID tag, but unfortunately we cannot read what is on the ID tag.

There are at least two types of us out here, those who choose to give you their opinion as to, should you or should you not restore your pump. No problem there, but there are those of us who not only enjoy owning a gas pump, but want to know as much about the pump as we can.

As I mentioned above, the only thing we have for the Fry pumps is the ID tag. Unless there is someone out there who has a grandfather who worked for Guarantee and kept a great deal of literature, we have only what we can find on Ebay or in my case going to 60 or 70 swap meets asking everyone if they have any gas pump literature.

Kevin has taken upon himself to gather as much information about the Wayne 60 pumps as he can find. Tim Rohr, has also taken to finding as much information about the G&B 176 series pumps, myself, I choose the Fry pumps. In my case, there is a person out there with a does have a lot of Fry information, but he chooses not share it with anyone.

On behalf of Kevin, Tim and myself, I am asking all of you to please supply us with a full picture of your pump, a picture of the ID tag and a picture of anything that is unusual about your pump.

One more thing, at the present time I am working with one of us who's interest is the stations. From the first one to whatever. About six months ago, he approached me about what pictures I might have showing all the stations. I started copying all the pictures I have and I'm about to send him a thumb drive that has over 2500 images and is over 45 Gig.

bhull, I hope you don't mind me expressing myself on your post, but it seemed to be the right time to make my requests.

Jack Sim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved