Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
This item is from New London, Missouri and is described as a "[i]Beautiful left hand facing cookie cutter porcelain PEGASUS. Nice overall condition for age with some chips and touch ups on the front legs. Marked T-54. Has had neon holders added along the perimeter, add the glass you have a neon Peggy! Local pickup is available or will disassemble and ship[/i]."

www.ebay.com/itm/NO-RESERVE-MOBIL-PEGASUS-PORCELAIN-LEFT-FACING-COOKIE-CUTTER-NEON/252686620688

I intend to buy a Mobil Pegasus one day and am just starting my journey down the research path. While rust is to be expected for an outside sign, this particular example has a spot of the forehead which is not aesthetically pleasing (to me).

Thoughts on if it is original? Anything appear out of place or of concern to the discerning/experienced eye? Thanks in advance for your responses!

B
OP Offline
B
37 bids later, it sold for $4,650.00.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It was original and about the going price for one in that condition
I've only known of a few reproduction cookie-cutter style Pegasus and they're very easy to tell by looking at the backside because the reproductions do not have the hanger set up as the originals did.
Good luck on your search!

Thanks
Mike

Always Looking for any Pure Oil and Sunoco Items.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the reply, Mike!

Were most of these cookie-cutter pegasus signs of this size configured with neon out of the factory or were there neon-less versions? Perhaps these latter (basic) examples could have been retrofitted with glass and gas by the petrol station owner at a later date?

Also would you recommend either "Mobil Collector's & Price Guide" by Scott Benjamin and Wayne Henderson or "An Unauthorized Guide to Mobil Collectibles Chasing the Red Horse" by Rob Bender (or something else) for the neophyte collector looking for a pegasus?

Both were published in the late 90's and the prices are probably a bit out of date but I am interested in learning more about markings (T-Year codes) and the various variations.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I like my mobil by scott and wayne.. im surw the other one has more signs rhe wayne and scott missed. How ever there is only a little information on the Pegasus

Last edited by kenr; Fri Dec 30 2016 11:18 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved