Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
139075 50-6in-j-180.jpg

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sun Dec 11 2016 08:49 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
All Items Offered Must Have Prices

All Items Offered in This Category Must Have Prices.
72 hour bumping rule now being enforced. Please read the For Sale Guidelines.

Please read and follow all the For Sale Petroliana forum Guidelines and Non-Petro For Sale forum Guidelines
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I just posted another picture last night and it certainly is a Pain in the ***** everytime, There is no easy way about it compared to EVERY other site where you just click the icon and post a picture.
Jim, Why is that, is there a way to do it like every other site, like facebook for example, or is that not an option. There is no doubt many more pictures and for sale items would be posted on here

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
J
J
I am not a facebook guy .But you are right. We are in the dark ages

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
The software this forum uses hasn't published a promised upgrade in years. Hopefully 2017 will be the year they come through. I don't have the income that Facebook and eBay have to finance custom programming.

In the mean time, I have set up a special resize forum where members can upload photos right out of the camera and they are resized automatically. On the page for the resized full picture, there is a code line to copy and paste. Copy the "medium" code line and paste it into your message in the For Sale or other forum.

If you have trouble, send me a message using the Contact link at the top of the page.

Here is a link to info about the new EZ Resize forum.
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=657757

If you use another discussion forum that has easier picture posting, send me a link and I'll check out using that software.

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here are the instructions:

1. Go to: http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=32
2. Click on "New Image"
3. Click on "Image Manager"
4. Click on ""Choose File"
5. Click on the image you want to upload
6. Click on "Open"
7. Click on "Add file"
8. Repeat 4, 5, 6, and 7 if you wish to add more images
9. Click on "Done Adding File"
10. Type something in the "Subject" and "Description" boxes of the submission form and click the "Submit" button.

If your File Manager image upload was done properly, the line on the submission form below the description box should read, "Image Manager (Total Files: 1)" or 2, 3 or 4 as appropriate. If it says "Total files: 0" there are no images in the upload process yet.

11. After you submit the form, scroll down that page below your image to see the "medium" line of code. Click inside the box to the right of medium, and it should highlight blue. Copy that.
12. Paste into your description box in the message submit form on another forum like For Sale. If there is more than one image, click on the thumbnail for the other image and copy the medium code for that image. Simpler to do one at a time until you get good at it.

Medium box to copy is shown here:
http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=657757#Post657759

Trouble? Send me a message using the Contact link near the top of forum pages. If you are willing to try, I can work with you to master the image posting thing.

Last edited by Oldgas Moderator; Mon Dec 12 2016 01:00 PM. Reason: Added points to instructions after email comment by Jack

Jim Potts
Oldgas.com Techie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always thought it was hard to post pictures until Dick Bennett sat down with me and showed me how to do it. It is very easy to do once you know the steps. As easy as ABC.

Rob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The only place I have not been able to figure out how to post a picture is in the pm"s and if I need to send one to someone personally I just email it to them.. The secret to posting easily on here is just the resize necessity and Jim's resize tool does work, albeit not too easy if you have any computer challenges at all. I personally use a program called irfanview to resize mine. Everybody has their favorite. Although it is a little more time consuming to have to resize each pic you post, it works out ok for me since I have a slow internet service and uploading a 150k picture is a lot faster than trying to upload one right from my camera or phone which is usually a lot bigger file. I suspect that this software, being the age it is, was designed for just that reason. Back before connect speeds upwards of 50mps, the old connect speeds were very slow and to try to upload a picture that was a megabit in size took forever and tied up the system on both ends. It is really hard to keep up with the tech changes nowadays. What used to need upgrades every couple of years now needs upgrades every month to work right. But that's where the money is......GB

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Use imageshack...it's easy...if I can do it ANYONE can do it

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Two ways to do this. If you are using a digital camera just adjust the settings on it to take small pics or if you load them to your computer just use "Paint" to resize.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By keithia
Two ways to do this. If you are using a digital camera just adjust the settings on it to take small pics or if you load them to your computer just use "Paint" to resize.

EXCELLENT ADVICE

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By Oldgas Moderator

If you use another discussion forum that has easier picture posting, send me a link and I'll check out using that software.

PM sent Jim

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
J
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
J
Good news. Jim and I have been working together to teach me how to post pictures. It took a few emails and some work, but I think we have worked out something that works. Between us we have worked out a step by step procedure to post a picture. Just go to it, copy it to a sheet of paper and following the 1-17 steps (actually very easy) and a decent picture will show up on OG.

Jim, thank you.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Okay this is getting overly complicated.
I am 71 and have never had a problem posting pictures on here.

Open a Photobucket account:
photobucket.com
See the "upload button"?
Upload a pictures from your files.
After the picture uploads it will show on your computer.
Place your pointer on the picture.
In the upper left corner of the picture are "menu bars".
Place your pointer on the menu bars and it will show several options. Click on "Share"
A drop down box will show up. On the right hand side you will see a box that says "Photo Links"
Click on it and it will copy the link.
Go to your Old Gas post and place your pointer in the post box and right click your mouse. Select "paste"
Post. (Submit)

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
One slightly odd thing I've noticed, I believe is true by my recent postings, is if your file is below 150KB it will show in the post. If it's above that but still small enough to be accepted you have to click on it in the post to see it. So I always go below 150 KB.

I just reduce before posting by using Picture Manager or any other paint program on my computer. It's either "compress picture" or "resize" depending on the software. I have a ton of pics on my computer that are labeled "small" which are the ones for old gas.

See our restorations & products! >>>>> https://www.facebook.com/roadrash/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use "Postimage.org". It is free; simple to use and very fast. It also posts images in Oldgas PMs with no trouble... And depending on which option I use; my images can be:

Smaller in size but, still sharp enough for those with "good eyesight":

Or

Larger in size (same 640x480 pixel size) for those like me; who need a little help seeing images, at times... In the larger option there is a small "tag line" at the end of the image, but I can live with that:

adult image

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This video may help. Step by step

https://youtu.be/AGzNMG1S4o4

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Just Google resize image and find one you like and that's easy. Works for me.

Online Cool
Here is Oilcanman87's video tutorial on uploading pictures using our Resize Tool. First half is for iPhone and iPad and the second half is for PC computers.

Remember: You have to register separately on our Resize Tool even though you may already be registered on the forum.

Thanks, Oilcanman87 !

Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Dec 23 2016 03:18 PM. Reason: add registration note

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
N
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
N
There is an app, Imager Resizer in the apple App Store that works . Just need to save it once done. I have used 500 x 500 with no problems.

IMG_0073.JPG
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Appreciate this Topic. Very Helpful Information.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved